Thread: half garage

half garage

I have a pretty standard size 2 car garage. My wife parks on one side (my truck stays outside). I do park my lawnmower on my side but move it out when working. To get a little more room from my side I was considering keeping my Milwaukee mobile work bench, miter saw, and band saw (only three mobile pieces) along the center line to sort of divide the garage into shop one side, garage the other but still be able to roll out of the way if needed.

Is this a good idea or will it just make it more awkward to work in?

Layout would essentially be:
    side wall lathe, non mobile work bench with grinder bench top sander, and area for wood carving, tool chest.
    back wall shelving and storage for jobsite TS, lumber, other stuff.
    center line bandsaw, mobile work bench, miter saw on stand, (hopefully drill press soon)

What do you think?

I do have a basement shop as well for non-dust producing work like fishing rod building, fly tying, and other projects.

My recommendation would to keep everything you can "mobile" so that you can quickly and easily reconfigure your space while you are working on projects and very quickly and easily revert to minimal footprint when not working. This will also allow you to utilize your other half's half, as it were, when the weather is nice while you are working without impinging on her being able to park inside at the end of the day. For dust collection, use a unit on wheels and connect to one machine at a time with a flex hose. Use foldable or nestable supports for assembly surface, too, so you don't have space taken up by "furniture" when you are not actively assembling a project.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That makes sense, I do have a quick to assemble assembly table with 2 dewalt saw horses as supports, and can do another with a jaw horse if needed. When I get the TS out it is usually on her side.

Is there a way to make the lathe mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon SPEAKS View Post
    Is there a way to make the lathe mobile?
    Yes, but care has to be taken due to the nature of the tool and the need to be balanced and level. A mobile lathe is best when the mobility doesn't have any wheels on the ground while it's being used to spin wood and in general, locating it to the exact same spot every time is a good idea so that leveling can be set for "that spot". I know it may be hard to believe, but even my 850 lb. Stubby, which is a substantial assembly of thick cast iron, can end up with the centers not being "centered" if it's not properly leveled on a solid surface. Why? Because cast iron bends...
    --

I moved into a larger house/shop about a month ago and set-up my TS in my "wife's bay" of the garage while she was out shopping lol. The agreement upon her return was that I had to wrap the sitting room and dining room in raised panels and coffer the kitchen ceiling and I could have both bays

Quote Originally Posted by peter Joseph View Post
    I moved into a larger house/shop about a month ago and set-up my TS in my "wife's bay" of the garage while she was out shopping lol. The agreement upon her return was that I had to wrap the sitting room and dining room in raised panels and coffer the kitchen ceiling and I could have both bays
    He shoots....he scores!

--