Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanding discs

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    A while back I bought some purple 2" and 3" sanding discs from an online store that is well known for its CBN wheels. The reason I didn't like these is that their diameter is just shy of the diameter of the hook and loop pads that I bought from the same seller. This small bit of overhang shows as scuff marks on the wood at times. And the grit on the discs aren't consistent so everything may look good and a 320 disc may cause a scratch deep enough that you have to go back a grit or two. The purple discs loaded up quite fast and didn't last long either. So I don't think I want to replenish with these.
    I agree! I bought some of the 2" and 3" discs from Woodturners Wonders and found them just a bit too small also. I agree that they load up fast and don't last as long as others. I can't wait to use them up. I found a sanding pad that I had cut down and was just a bit smaller than the discs, so for now that pad is dedicated to these discs.

I haven't tried discs from 2sand but maybe I should. I seem to always be on a quest to find the best disc at the best price. I don't mind paying a little more for better quality. Because I go through a lot of sandpaper (because you're suppose to use it once and get rid of it), price is a consideration.

My favorite discs so far are the Norton A275 from The Sanding Glove (http://thesandingglove.com/Norton-A2...Grip-Discs.asp), followed by a close 2nd with Klingspor Stearate (which it doesn't look like they make anymore except for 600 grit and above?). I have used the Green discs from Vince and I like them. I believe in one of Vince's videos he says the difference between green and blue is the green have the grit marked on more of the discs.

I've also used Deerfos from Craft Supplies. It's an excellent disk but a bit high priced.
    I've also used Norton Dry Ice from The Sanding Glove. It's an excellent disk also but even higher priced.

Discs that I won't use again are Industrial Abrasives (scratch patterns are too hard to get rid of), Mirka Gold (doesn't last at all), SIA Speed Ultra from Vince (doesn't last), and the above mentioned purple discs from Woodturners Wonders. When I say discs won't last, I'm talking they won't or barely last sanding one bowl. I'm not quite at the "use once and throw away" stage, I still try and get 2 bowls from one disc.

I have wanted to get a punch and make my own, but never got around to buying a punch.

I forgot to say that I do like and use 2" and 2-3/8" disc, and 3" and 3-3/8". I think that's another reason why I bought the green discs from Vince is because green comes in 2" and 3" and the blue doesn't. I use an oversize disc on the inside of bowls, and many times use the 2" or 3" on the outside because I can sand up closer to a bead or the foot. If I used an oversize for that it would hit the bead or my chuck jaws, etc.
    Last edited by Pat Scott; 08-11-2017 at 2:01 PM.

I'd just like to reiterate that you don't need to cut your sandpaper into circles for 90% of power sanding on the lathe. Squares work just fine.

Saw the circle cutters, and the comment to make one. I had a section of tail pipe from younger days, and made this. Worked great. The size was 2" one one and 2 1/8 on the other. I did the 2" and just tape the pipe around the top on the other end. Result is great. If I make more holders may try and cut the Velcro with it. If it gets dull just touch it up. Just used a file on the outside and a rotary grinder on the inside to remove the ring.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
    Is there any benefit to ordering the discs slightly oversized such as what Vince sells? 3-3/8 versus a 3" disc? I was wondering if that bit of overhang digs into the wood or allows for a better sanding when working on the inside of bowls.
    David
    David, Vince sells "inner face" pads that are 2-3/8" and 3-3/8" diameter, so it is possible to have the discs supported out to the edge. I've been very happy with his blue discs and have used them successfully for many years.

I buy all of my sandpaper from one source the Klingspor Woodworking Shop, most of it comes from the end rolls scrap boxes. For power sanding, I made my own pads and a cutter for the sandpaper. Mostly out of their scrap bin, I can make my 1", 2" and 4" sanding belts, all of the discs I need in 1", 2" and 4" sizes. not too mention the plain sheets that I also use.

At $.13 each (quantity of 100) I just don't see me punching out my own discs!😉 But, I may be in the minority.

Left click my name for homepage link.

My main supplier of sanding disks is TURNINGWOOD.COM. I like the Mirka disks that Steve Worcester sells and have been using them for years. And you cannot get a better mandrel than Skilton mandrels Steve sells, the one I have I have been using for over 8 or nine years or longer.

Ingenious, thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    I agree! I bought some of the 2" and 3" discs from Woodturners Wonders and found them just a bit too small also. I agree that they load up fast and don't last as long as others. I can't wait to use them up. I found a sanding pad that I had cut down and was just a bit smaller than the discs, so for now that pad is dedicated to these discs.

I haven't tried discs from 2sand but maybe I should. I seem to always be on a quest to find the best disc at the best price. I don't mind paying a little more for better quality. Because I go through a lot of sandpaper (because you're suppose to use it once and get rid of it), price is a consideration.

My favorite discs so far are the Norton A275 from The Sanding Glove (http://thesandingglove.com/Norton-A2...Grip-Discs.asp), followed by a close 2nd with Klingspor Stearate (which it doesn't look like they make anymore except for 600 grit and above?). I have used the Green discs from Vince and I like them. I believe in one of Vince's videos he says the difference between green and blue is the green have the grit marked on more of the discs.

I've also used Deerfos from Craft Supplies. It's an excellent disk but a bit high priced.
    I've also used Norton Dry Ice from The Sanding Glove. It's an excellent disk also but even higher priced.

Discs that I won't use again are Industrial Abrasives (scratch patterns are too hard to get rid of), Mirka Gold (doesn't last at all), SIA Speed Ultra from Vince (doesn't last), and the above mentioned purple discs from Woodturners Wonders. When I say discs won't last, I'm talking they won't or barely last sanding one bowl. I'm not quite at the "use once and throw away" stage, I still try and get 2 bowls from one disc.

I have wanted to get a punch and make my own, but never got around to buying a punch.

I forgot to say that I do like and use 2" and 2-3/8" disc, and 3" and 3-3/8". I think that's another reason why I bought the green discs from Vince is because green comes in 2" and 3" and the blue doesn't. I use an oversize disc on the inside of bowls, and many times use the 2" or 3" on the outside because I can sand up closer to a bead or the foot. If I used an oversize for that it would hit the bead or my chuck jaws, etc.
    Pat, thank you for the detailed reply. I appreciate your sharing what has and hasn't' worked for you as well as your experience using the different sizes. I hadn't thought about using oversized discs and needing to sneak up on beads or corners.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    My main supplier of sanding disks is TURNINGWOOD.COM. I like the Mirka disks that Steve Worcester sells and have been using them for years. And you cannot get a better mandrel than Skilton mandrels Steve sells, the one I have I have been using for over 8 or nine years or longer.
    Thank you Bill, I hadn't heard of turningwood.com so I'll be sure to check them out.

Gentlemen,

If you are in the business of selling sand paper products you cannot get involved in any conversation on the subject here.
    I pay for your products please pay for mine.

Its been a while since I posted my original question and with so many of you responding with comments and ideas I thought I would post a follow up.

I finally just got fed up with my current sanding discs that had uneven grit causing me to have to go back and re-sand that I finally made a purchase with Vince as so many of you had recommended him. I received my order a couple weeks ago and had a chance to sand a spindle and a bowl and was quite please. The green flex discs were very uniform in regards to their grit and didn't load up nearly as fast allowing them to last much longer. They have reduced my sanding time and my frustration level. I just want to add that unlike my first interaction this second interaction with Vince was very pleasant, informative and his customer service level was outstanding. I would not hesitate to buy from him again.

Thank you guys for the recommendation.

David

I'm a pretty frugal guy that said when it comes to sand paper I've found the more expensive sand papers are worth the extra cost to me. I mainly use Norton & 3M abrasives in both disc & sheets. To me they seem to have a more constant scratch pattern wear longer and get my overall sanding job done quicker. Yeah there more expensive but I'm ok with it. I turn mostly to sell my work & work the cost into it just like you would the power bill.
    Kind of like the old saying from TV commercials for hair color ( more expensive yes but I'm worth it)
    And yes I have tried the blue & green disc from the guy everyone here seems to use.

For all you members from Canada check this link out. I have ordered from here twice. The service is good and the wave discs seem to cut and last
    http://www.sandpaper.ca/product-cate...-loop-products

Hmm, missed this thread.... First, the over sized discs, i discovered a long time ago that stiff discs, and the disc that is exactly the same size as the pad, rigid pad or soft pad makes no difference, will leave some of the mystery scratches "how did those get there???" I tried just about every abrasive I could get my hands on, and always come back to the blue from Vince. For durability, the only other discs that come close were the Dry Ice ones from Norton I think. They were almost twice the cost of the blue. Other than that, none of the others come close for long lasting and clean cutting and even grit patterns. I think most abrasives now go with electrostatic distribution of grit rather than sifting, so this problem is minimal now. Cost wise I get far more value from the blue than the other discs. I do have access to a clicker punch press and used to punch my own discs. The press could punch out 5 layers at a time. With the price of buying discs 100 at a time, there was not enough money saving to make it worth the effort. The value packs of abrasives are okay, but still, I get better value from the blue discs. There is and/or was a purple abrasive from 3M that was a ceramic of some sort, and much more expensive than standard abrasives. It was only available in sticky back, and only in grits up to 220. Hardly ever see it any more. I did try the Mirka abrasives. On a 14 inch bowl, I could sand most of the outside of a bowl with one disc, but it was pretty dull by the time the outside was done. With the blue I can sand both inside and outside of at least one bowl. Big difference...

robo hippy