Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sanding discs

Sanding discs

A while back I bought some purple 2" and 3" sanding discs from an online store that is well known for its CBN wheels. I'm almost through all of it and need to find a better disc. The reason I didn't like these is that their diameter is just shy of the diameter of the hook and loop pads that I bought from the same seller. This small bit of overhang shows as scuff marks on the wood at times. And the grit on the discs aren't consistent so everything may look good and a 320 disc may cause a scratch deep enough that you have to go back a grit or two. The purple discs loaded up quite fast and didn't last long either. So I don't think I want to replenish with these.

I did call another online store that is always mentioned for their green discs, their blue ones too. Unfortunately in the thirty minute phone call I didn't get any questions answered but rather I listened to why he was better than the guy above. It left me very frustrated.

So my questions, if anyone has any insight, are;

1. For a 2" or 3" pad would you buy the 2 and 3" discs or would you prefer the 2-3/8 and 3-3/8" discs? Any pros or cons to the slightly larger size?

2. Is there a preference for the blue or green discs sold by the second seller above?

3. I saw some white Rhino discs at a higher cost, are these discs better to warrant the higher cost?

4. Any other suggestions?

My preference is for a disc that has consistent grit, cuts well and has decent life. I understand that this would come with a cost so I don't know that I'm asking for the best disc, or the cheapest disc, but probably the best value.

A couple other options that I am looking at are
    https://2sand.com/sanding-discs/hook...ng-discs-25-pk

Supergrit has these discs but they don't say what its made of. I've emailed them a couple of times and their reply is always short and vague. For example I asked one time if such and such disc is good for woodturning and their reply was "sure". That was it. However if anyone has any experience with these please let me know.
    https://www.supergrit.com/products/p...iscs-smallsand

I've heard great things about the Klingspor Gold and have bought (and very much liked) their rolls but their discs are too expensive for me to consider.

I have thought about maybe buying rolls and just punching my own discs but haven't looked into an efficient way of doing that yet.

If your discs are too small, you can just stick your mandrels on the lathe and reduce their diameter slightly. A skew works.

You can get 2.75" hook & loop or psa rolls of high quality sandpaper for very cheap. Some of it you'd have to cut into squares, some comes perforated. Or you can just attach regular sandpaper to the mandrel with special sanding disc adhesive.

I like the blue discs from Vinceswooden wonders. They are over sized and last a good long time. I tried the purple discs, but, they did not seem to last as long. You will get probably as many different opinions on discs as there are woodturners on this forum.
    Joe

I buy the klingspor box of scraps and use an arch punch to pound out the discs I need in every possible grit.

IMG_0505.JPG

Works like a dream and you'll have more discs that you'll ever use for as cheap a price as possible.

you can use whatever sandpaper you want this way. Look up 2-inch arch punch on the Googleweb and you'll be on your way. The punches are available in almost any size imaginable.... you could make your own punch by sharpening an edge of steel pipe if you didn't want to buy a proper arch punch.
    Last edited by Harold Balzonia; 08-10-2017 at 4:40 PM. Reason: Added photo of arch punch

I use the blue flex for my hook and loop sanding disc. I like that they are oversized and durable.
    Is your Rhino the same as Rhyno? I use Indasa Rhynogrip Redline psa backed for roll and they are great I like their Redline better than he white.
    They do make 3" Velcro style disc but I have never used them (not sure if they make a 2"). I think Klingspor carries the Rhyno line.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mills View Post
    I use the blue flex for my hook and loop sanding disc. I like that they are oversized and durable.
    Is your Rhino the same as Rhyno? I use Indasa Rhynogrip Redline psa backed for roll and they are great I like their Redline better than he white.
    They do make 3" Velcro style disc but I have never used them (not sure if they make a 2"). I think Klingspor carries the Rhyno line.
    Yes, I meant Rhyno. Couldn't find the redline anywhere though.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Balzonia View Post
    I buy the klingspor box of scraps and use an arch punch to pound out the discs I need in every possible grit.

IMG_0505.JPG

Works like a dream and you'll have more discs that you'll ever use for as cheap a price as possible.

you can use whatever sandpaper you want this way. Look up 2-inch arch punch on the Googleweb and you'll be on your way. The punches are available in almost any size imaginable.... you could make your own punch by sharpening an edge of steel pipe if you didn't want to buy a proper arch punch.
    Thank you for the suggestion and the tip about the arch punch. I didn't even know those existed.

Is there any benefit to ordering the discs slightly oversized such as what Vince sells? 3-3/8 versus a 3" disc? I was wondering if that bit of overhang digs into the wood or allows for a better sanding when working on the inside of bowls.

If I were to order from Vince is there a preference between the green and blue discs? Thank again for your suggestions.

David

David I use a lot of Vince's disks and my opinion the blue ones are as good as the green. Mostly happy withe his disks but some grits seem to be better than others, and some don't come with the grit stamped on them. So far they are the best for the money I have found. If you find something that is great let us know.
    Fred

I use Vinces disk as well the blue ones. Get yourself one of these from Amazon and clean them between sanding. Prostik W1307 2-Inch by 2-Inch by 12-Inch Abrasive Belt and Disk Cleaner. This cleaner is great and really cleans out the disk. Use it on slow speed to be more effective.

I use the New Wave disc's from Lee Valley... http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/pag...53&cat=1,42500 and they work very well.. as you can see the overhang is scalloped and doesn't leave any marks when sanding inside a bowl right up to the lip...

I, too, use Vince's blue disks. I've used the green when he puts them on sale. I don't see a great deal of difference. I buy the oversized ones. For sanding inside bowls, in particular, the edges of the disk folds over to cover the edge of the mandrel/pad and prevents any rubber marks on the bowl.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

The general consensus on this forum is for Vince's discs. I have a bunch and they're fine for me.

But I prefer these. They are heartier and more effective:

https://2sand.com/2-inch-sanding-dis...aluminum-oxide

I fully acknowledge that in someone else's hands the blue ones may be better and that I am perhaps not using the appropriate technique, drill, or mandrels, but in my hands (so far) these white ones have proven a better buy.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-12-2017 at 11:02 AM.

Thank you guys, I appreciate all of your replies. I decided that I will either try Vince's blue discs or these (not sure if they are the same as Vince's but they are priced pretty close).

David, I don't know the folks at 2sand.com and they be be great folks. But, I have known Vince for years and he personally knows his customers and the customer service is great.

Left click my name for homepage link.