Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chopping Mortises

Blog Entries
    I switched from my Narex chisel to my Aldi chisel, and it seems to wander much less as I strike it. Thicker sides? I'm not sure, but I can tell the behavior is different.
    Different chisel designs will react differently when used in different methods of work. That is only one reason there are so many different types of chisels.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    Maybe this is a stupid question, but I haven't tried it so....would starting in the center work fine with a bevel edge chisel also?
    Yes, but space for waste clearance typically isn't as critical with bevel-edge chisels because of their lower profile, so they aren't as sensitive to which technique you use.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    I agree with this.

The part about having space to lever out the waste is key as Ken says, and is also where Sellars' technique was non-optimal. In the video he starts at one end and simultaneously works down and towards the other end, which is what I meant when I described it as "end-in" technique. IMO he develops an initial bottom profile that is overly "steep" (i.e. each sequence of cuts forms a very acute "V" shape) and lacks space for waste clearance.

Simultaneously working away from the center of the mortise in both directions works better for me, because the resulting "V" profile is much shallower. There are at least two other ways to achieve adequate waste clearance that I know of, and probably more, but that's the one that works for me.
    Not sure about that Patrick. The 'Sellers' technique has the benefit of reaching depth much quiker. And it saves the effort of turning around the chisel on each cut. In the end I think it hardly matters and you could become just as quick with both methods if you practice enough.

Blog Entries
    I'm sure I'll end up with mortise chisels eventually, but yeah, for now I just have the bevel edge.
    I've got the first four chopped and the tenons cut to fit. Certainly not perfect, but number four is markedly better than the first one was.

I guess the good news is my sawing is better than my chopping. Really liking these Japanese saws.
    Well, get nice tenon saw, maybe Lie Nielsen or Lee Valley.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Well, get nice tenon saw, maybe Lie Nielsen or Lee Valley.
    I have one of each and can definitely concur with Lowell's comment. Both seem to work equally well. The LV appealed to my wallet, but the LN appeals to my soul (with the gorgeous materials and classical lines). That said, I went through a Japanese tool phase and really liked the saws. I still use them for rough work, though there's no reason I couldn't use them for fine work, too.

I have a Lee Valley dovetail saw, and a couple of older tenon saws.
    Then I have a Ryoba and Dozuki.
    I'm still new, and learning, but so far I prefer the Japanese. I have a seriously messed up right shoulder and the Japenese are definitely easier on my shoulder.
    Still experimenting though.

I'm little late to the show, but just don't make the same mistake that I made. My first mortices were drilled out, but I cleaned them up with a chisel and a RUBBER mallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    I'm little late to the show, but just don't make the same mistake that I made. My first mortices were drilled out, but I cleaned them up with a chisel and a RUBBER mallet!
    How do you sharpen a rubber mallet?

Blog Entries
    Beat on the pointed end of the chisel.

How do you sharpen a rubber mallet?

Frequently!

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Beat on the pointed end of the chisel.
    It was almost that bad. The said chisels were Marples blue chip right out of the box. New chisels should be sharp. Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Stutz View Post
    It was almost that bad. The said chisels were Marples blue chip right out of the box. New chisels should be sharp. Right?
    It takes a confident and secure individual to admit to that on SMC :-)

IMO the loss of knowledge and traditional training opportunities almost guarantees that we all start out doing stupid sh*t. I certainly did (and still do).

Not really! I don't post in a lot of these threads because so many here have more experience and knowledge. I just try to keep people from making the same mistakes I did.

The little computer desk that I built, however, is still rock solid!

Alls well that ends well Mark. Good on you for the rock solid computer desk. In an uncertain world, at best, it does not get much better than a solid build project. Photos please.
    David

Really surprised I even still had any! From a long time ago, back in the day when little plastic discs called compact discs, CD for short were used to store electronic data!

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Alls well that ends well Mark. Good on you for the rock solid computer desk. In an uncertain world, at best, it does not get much better than a solid build project. Photos please.
    computer desk 3 (3).jpgcomputer desk.jpg