Thread: Torched Some Red Oak

Torched Some Red Oak

This is a piece of quarter sawn oak I harvested last fall. I turned the rough out down to about 5/16", sanded it to 600 grit and then, burned it all with a map gas torch. I wire brushed the charred surface and brushed it with black dye. The brushed surface textured and rippled. I sealed the surface with two coats of lacquer. I mixed paste wax with a fine gold powder and rubbed it into the surface. After letting the wax cure, I lightly rubbed the surface with #0000 steel wool. Finally I sprayed multiple coats of lacquer on the surface. Oddly the lacquer will melt into the surface and leave a residue of the wax which seems like the wax' solvent. It wipes off cleanly and doesn't harm the finish. I've done a number of bowls using wax under lacquer with no failures.
    IMG_7695.jpg IMG_7698.jpg IMG_7696.jpg
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Bob, I always enjoy seeing the result of your color and bling adventures!! 👍

Left click my name for homepage link.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Bob, I always enjoy seeing the result of your color and bling adventures!! 
    Thanks John. The burning and brushing exposes a wonder tactile feeling to the bowl. The texturing adds another dimension for one to enjoy.

Very unique piece, love the shape of it.

Pretty slick Bob, like it a lot.
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

Thank you. I just picked up some fallen red oak and think I will try this technique.

Quarter sawn won't warp as much and present great vertical lines. Turn with then pith in the bottom give a wonderful series of rings. Hope to see what you create.

I definitely plan to turn it pith side out. My car smells like vinegar!!!!