Thread: Bandsaw blade width vs resaw capacity

Bandsaw blade width vs resaw capacity

Hello Creekers,
    Please share your collective wisdom on the topic of band saw blades and their capacity for re-sawing. This evening I was working to re-saw a 5/4 x 10" black walnut plank into two book matched boards. About halfway though re-sawing the piece my relatively new (less than 3 weeks old) 3/8-inch Timberwolf saw blade broke. I'm not sure if I'm over working the blade or what the issue is. I humbly defer to the more experienced wood workers here to help analyze my problem. Is there a critical relationship between blade width and re-saw capacity? Thanks in advance for your help.

Blog Entries
    I prefer a 1/2" 4 or 5 tooth blade for resawing.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-12-2017 at 11:10 AM.

Yes wider blades can have less tpi and bigger gullets.
    If you go up to a 1/2 inch blade you can get 3 tpi.
    Aj

William,

I don't think the break would have occurred because of the width of the band, but it might have occurred because of the pitch of the teeth. I can see that a blade with too many teeth per inch could clog when resawing a 10" board. That would overheat and stress the blade. Like Lowell, I think most people would prefer a 1/2" or 3/4" blade but the tpi is probably what matters. Go for 3 tpi. It might have broken for a variety of "random" reasons, such as a defective weld or previous damage.

Doug

Blog Entries
    I would expect that if you feel any resistance than it is too few TPI or a dull blade. I have been using woodmaster CT blades since I purchased my saw and I'm very happy with them. It's a 1.3 tooth blade and I have resawn up to 19" white oak. They last a long time, enough that I feel it's actually a cost savings over conventional blades. My last blade was on the saw for 7 mo and I do a lot of resawing.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

William

I think that, for that blade, you're kind of at the outside of it's abilities. 10" is a lot of material to remove.
    I'm also a big fan of carbide teeth for resew. It's just easier in my opinion. Don't get me wrong, I think Timberwolf makes excellent blades, but when re-sawing for figure, I think carbide teeth are the better solution. Me personally, I'd try a 1/2", 2-3 tooth carbide tipped blade for the task you were doing.

I'm with Andrew. It's the ability to clear the waste, for a given worth of blade, that is important.
    I have a 1", 2/3 varipitch, Lennox Tri-Master on my saw. The gullets are pretty deep and have the ability to remove a lot of waste. I have no issues with re-sawing with that blade.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    ... woodmaster CT blades ...
    Brian,

Is that the 1" blade? Do you know what tension it requires? I use an 18" Rikon and typically run 1/2" 3 tpi blades.

I read that a carbide blade "can take" up to 30,000 psi as compared to the 15,000 - 20,000 psi for other blades. I wondered what your experience is with tensioning these blades and and if you use a gauge. I do have a gauge.

Also, how is it for cutting green wood?

One more question for you: your favorite place to buy the Woodmaster blades?

JKJ

I generally use a 1/2" 3TPI Timberwolf blade for both general cutting and re-saw work.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    My Jet band saw does not handle 3/4" blades well. !/2" is the largest I can use, but I run a 3/8" blade and am happy with the results.

Blade drift is an issue with re-sawing.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Brian,

Is that the 1" blade? Do you know what tension it requires? I use an 18" Rikon and typically run 1/2" 3 tpi blades.

I read that a carbide blade "can take" up to 30,000 psi as compared to the 15,000 - 20,000 psi for other blades. I wondered what your experience is with tensioning these blades and and if you use a gauge. I do have a gauge.

Also, how is it for cutting green wood?

One more question for you: your favorite place to buy the Woodmaster blades?

JKJ
    Hi John, It is the 1" blade, takes a good bit of tension but I have never measured. I typically tension it up to the 1-1/2" measurement on my saw and it responds well (never drifts) until it gets pretty dull. I basically use that as a determination for when to replace the blade. If it drifts I put on a new one.

I have bought from Spectrum and BandSawBladesDirect. Spectrum is fast, I needed a replacement in a hurry recently and they had two blades to me in 3 days.

I haven't cut anything green with this saw.

I cut all of these veneers recently, starting with 18.5" wide material. As long as my jointing job is good, everything goes smoothly.

Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 08-12-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I generally use a 1/2" 3TPI Timberwolf blade for both general cutting and re-saw work.
    X2, that's what I use for the same purpose on my Rikon. On the other hand I have a [made in the USA] Delta 14" saw that is my dedicated saw for scroll type cuts using a 1/4" blade or smaller.

My experience with Timberwolf blades on my 14" Delta was poor. They cut OK, but both I had broke, one after only a few weeks, and not at the welds. Never went back to waste more money on them after that. I moved on the Olson MVP bi-metal blades and never had another break. They aren't the smoothest cutting blade out there, but they cut well and last a long time before getting dull. I regularly cut 10"+ hardwood veneer with a 1/2", 3 tpi one. If you take out some of the set by squeezing them between hardwood jaws in the vice they cut smoother.

John