Thread: lathe near furnace

lathe near furnace

Quick question. I have a forced air furnace in my garage, no ducting just blows cold air out the top and only services the garage.

The only 20 amp outlet is right right near the furnace. In the past I tried to keep the highest dust producing operations away from it. Looking to get a bigger lathe that might need 20 amp and wondering if I can use this outlet or have to run a new one further away from it.

I dont mind more frequent filter changes, more thinking of a fire hazzard.

It takes quite a bit of dust to create an explosion. A LOT, think grain silo being filled. That said, if you are creating that kind of dust it is time for a dust collector when you are sanding on your lathe. There is quite a bit of info on line about this problem. If you look at it you will come to the conclusion that you would not want to be in your shop at the concentrations required to produce an explosion since you would not be able to see your hand in front of your face.

Why not get a longer cord for the lathe? Cheaper than running new wires and box.

I just made an 220 extension cord from industrial cable found at the big orange store. Just get the 20 amp plugs in the right configuration.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Modern furnaces have draft inducer fans which draw ambient air into the combustion chamber. I've seen these get mucked up with dryer lint and would suspect wood dust could cause similar issues.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

It does not take a lot of dust to create an explosion a table spoon of dust in the right mix of air will do a lot more than blow your garage of the map.
    Wally

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Wenzel View Post
    It does not take a lot of dust to create an explosion a table spoon of dust in the right mix of air will do a lot more than blow your garage of the map.
    Wally
    Wally, my company was a consultant to mythbusters on wood dust explosions. for this video The sawdust was final sanding dust ariated by 125 PSI compressed air. Particle size, burn rate, density and other factors are involved for success. I know of several shops heated with propane and fuel oil "torpedo" heaters that have had no issues for many years. Some put in long days during the winter when they are not farming in Minnesota.

if your furnace has a combustion air fan see if you can duct it from outside or filter it to keep crud from building up inside the heat exchanger. you will be fine if you keep combustibles from building up in the immediate area. (dont bank them around the furnace case) with a furnace filter the air stream wont reach a critical mixture and throw flames. change or clean it frequently.