Thread: Featherweight Cherry Bowl

Featherweight Cherry Bowl

Got a little energy up this afternoon and decided to turn a cherry half log that had been staring at me for 6 months. Was going to just rough it out but ended up finishing the piece all at once. Have done a few once turned that usually end up at 1/4". This one ended up just barely 1/8" thick down to the bottom that's 3/16" thick. 10" x 5" dimensions.

First time going this thin on a green wood piece and first use of Doctor's Woodshop walnut oil. Always have used Mahony's.

thincherry2.jpgthincherry4.jpgthincherry5.jpgthincherry6.jpg
    Member Turners Anonymous Pittsburgh, PA

I love translucent when it works!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Looks like it would make for a really nice popcorn bowl! So, did you have fun turning thin??
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Wow David, that is thin!!! Great job, I like it a lot.
    I've never turned a bowl that thin, I always chicken out when the rim starts flexing. I assume your RPM's were pretty low?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schlumpf View Post
    Looks like it would make for a really nice popcorn bowl! So, did you have fun turning thin??
    I think the popcorn will weigh more than the bowl! 169 grams today and half of that is probably the walnut oil. It was fun turning it thin but must confess it was by mistake. Once deciding to once turn it, I was almost down at 1/4" rim when I got a slight skip to the left before the gouge dug in and started me at about 3/16". That's when I decided to go thinner yet. Good results with 3/8" gouge with 40/40 grind but even better once I got a little deeper into the bowl with a 3/8" bottom feeder ground at 75 degrees. Since this bowl was kind of deeper than normal, a curved rest would help a little bit better than the straight one stuck inside the bowl that I used. Think I could have gotten the bottom thinner than what it is but I have a nice flowing curve without any tool marks, so decided that was good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by daryl moses View Post
    Wow David, that is thin!!! Great job, I like it a lot.
    I've never turned a bowl that thin, I always chicken out when the rim starts flexing. I assume your RPM's were pretty low?
    Thanks daryl. Actually, (rightly or wrongly) I increased the rpm's. I was about 1,050 up from a little over 900 rpm's

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    I love translucent when it works!
    Thanks Brian. Not sure how much I like it because of how light it is but was kind of fun to try it out and get it off the bucket list.