Thread: TS Safety Question

TS Safety Question

Guys, am I missing something? I'm watching videos about the BCT Kerfmaker and I see the guy making a cross cut using both the miter gauge and the fence. I have always understood that to be a no-no.

This video, about 6:22. Yes, I know he has a sawstop, but as far as I know, SS technology wont prevent kickback.

Am I wrong? Am I missing something? Is this safe somehow? Or is this another bad example of youtube videos with unsafe TS practices?

(I'd use a short fence that stops well short of the blade, if I was going to do this.)

Thoughts and advice appreciated.
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-12-2017 at 8:35 PM.

The deciding factor is that there is no piece being cut off that will get trapped between the fence and the blade. Kick back is unlikely unless he is using wobbly wood or otherwise is not holding the board steady to the miter gauge - not resting fully along the length. I think for these shallow repeat cuts he is safe BUT if I were doing, this I would recalibrate as I approached the halfway point of my board and end for end the board so that the balance point remains in my control at the miter gauge.

A short fence could result in incremental error of your repeat cut if the board creeped ever so slightly away towards the blade as you passed over.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

As long as your drop isn't captive between the blade and the fence it's kosher in my book.