Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Table saw Mods?

Charles Lent mentioned the ol' Delta 34-444 Contractor's saw. Speaking from personal experience, the 34-444 that I started out with was bullet proof and a real workhorse. If I recall correctly, the OEM motor was 1.5 HP and when re-wired for 220 service, the performance dramatically improved.

I've been keeping my eye on Craigslist the last couple days.
    I'll keep that model in mind.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Foster View Post
    ...I do like the idea of a warranty...
    When was the last time you heard of someone making a warranty claim on a table saw?
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

When was the last time you heard of someone making a warranty claim on a table saw?
    Me, never because I don't get out much.

But, having read the reviews of the Delta on the Lowes site makes me think there must be some.

If I could find a good used saw at a good enough price, I'd grab it.
    But, I'm not much of a tinkerer if something needs fixed.
    I don't enjoy it and I'm not good at it.

As far as a new saw, I was looking at the reviews for the Dewalt DWE7491RS and it has much better reviews.
    Any thoughts on this saw?

I need to get back to Lowes and put my hands on these saws

I've 90% made a decision.
    This gives me wiggle room and time to watch Craigslist and work on the building

I still have some time because my Lowes 20% off coupon is good until September 30.

But, if I buy new, I think it will be the Dewalt DWE7491RS.

I've read a ton (hundreds) of reviews on this saw and the Delta 36-725 and the Dewalt has very few 1 and 2 * ratings.

I don't expect to be any more than a hobbyist so I don't need a high end saw.
    Unless I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a used one.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and suggestions

I have that Dewalt saw as well as a full size cabinet saw. It really is quite impressive for the price. Compact, easy to move, stores in smallish area. It has plenty of power to rip 2X material with a good rip blade. I use Freud thin kerf blades on it and no complaints with power. No it is not as powerful as my 3HP cabinet saw but for ~$550 it is very useful. I use it for remodeling type stuff when I need to bring the saw to the work.

Issues are the table as said before is short so less space to start the cut which is kind of a pain. The fence is adjustable and holds its alignment quite well but as someone who took a chunk to the chest off an old contractors saw I am super cautious. I constantly check the fence to blade alignment to be sure I don't get kickback. That to me is more dangerous than the blade. Maybe with more usage my confidence in the saw fence will improve and I won't keep checking it.

A great partner to the Dewalt is a track saw and well worth purchasing at some point. Mine is a Festool TS55.

Thanks for your feedback, Peter.

The 32" rip capacity was slightly more than the 30" on Delta.
    The Delta does have an outfeed extension and the Dewalt doesn't but roller stands and/or horses could compensate for that as well as the infeed
    I'll check out track saws

Look carefully and measure the miter slots. I think you will find that the DeWalt is not an exact 3/4 X 3/8" size. I have a friend who had all kinds of trouble with this on his DeWalt, He was trying to fit an Incra I-Box jig to it.

Charley

I've seen that mentioned, too, Charles.
    Not sure if I'm remembering correctly but I think I remember seeing that there is a lip that the miter gauge slips under to hold it in.

I may go back to Lowes tomorrow and will check all these saws out a little better now that I think I know a little more

I made a trip to Lowes today to look again at the 2 saws I'm considering.
    (It's a 60+ mile round trip)

Wouldn't you know, the floor model for the Delta was gone so I could only check the Dewalt.

I'll check back to see if they have one before I head back, if possible

I didn't measure the miter slots but noticed that all the saws had slop with the gauges in the slots.
    That may not be what you were referring, Charles.

BTW, Pittsburgh Craigslist has a lot of used Craftsman 10" saws.
    The sellers are quite proud of them.
    Lowest prices started around $200 and went up.

To me, I wouldn't buy a used one when I could get a brand new one for a little more.

Delta made a series of Contractor Saws in the 34-444 series, so don't just look at this one model number. There is very little difference between them 34-444, 34-445, 34-446, etc. I'm not sure how many different models there were, but other than year of manufacture there seems to be very little difference. The 34-444 was the model that I found for my son. If you put several of these side by side you will probably see slight differences, but all are basically the same performance wise.

I have no idea where you are located, but there is a very clean looking one listed on www.ncwoodworker.net in the classified section. They are asking $350 for it, which I think is a little high, but if it's as good as the picture, it's worth it, if you are close enough. I drove 5 hours each way to get my son's saw and it was no where near as clean or complete as this one. https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/...em&itemid=2379 I don't know why the picture doesn't show.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 08-19-2017 at 9:35 AM.

Blog Entries
    If you run across a 15 year old or older Delta saw, jump on it. They are solid saws with no vices. I have one with with the 30" table
    attached to the right. I have a router plate mounted in it an can use as a router table as well.

My saw resembles the Delta 5000 series saw in the Lowes add. I have never regretted buying it. I do run it on 220v.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-19-2017 at 10:35 AM.

I am north of Pittsburgh, Pa.

Thanks for that tip.
    If any of these saws show up on Pittsburgh CL I'll look into them.

Right now, a ton of Craftsman

Just like used cars, don't buy the model that is in every car lot. In this case, Craftsman. The harder ones to find are usually the better ones. I can remember looking for a pickup truck for my son, and everywhere we looked there were Chevy Luv pickups for sale used. It didn't take long to figure out why.

Charley

As mentioned way above, my late father-in-law had a Craftsman which has been sitting in his garage idle for at least 13 years which I (conditionally) offered to buy.
    But the 3 daughters, which includes my wife, (who get along fine) refuse to deal with any of this a number of years after their parents passing.