Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What to do...part two

Trying to get Motivated this morning.....too hot outside.....Need to haul a few more boards to the shop, today.....

Will see how the Plough Plane does.....except mine is 92 years old....

Might have enough 1/4" plywood in the shop to make a bottom for #3 Drawer....will need to line up it's knobs with the two above it...

Hauled ONE plank of Poplar to the shop ( how is that for getting motivated?) Cut it done to length with the Disston D-8. It was a tad wide...so a rip cut with the bandsaw....then a few trips along the sawn edge with a small jointer...
    poplar.jpg
    Then a few clean ups with a #4....Set this aside. Cut the plywood bottom to almost the size needed ( more on THAT, later)
    Set up a jig to hold the drawer front, and then the two sides. Each had a 1/4" x 1/4" groove ploughed....then a dado was laid out..
    dado layout.jpg
    Getting better at this..I even did a knife line, to guide the dado saw..
    mitre saw.jpg
    Yes, I use that mitre Box to saw the walls. Depth stops were set as needed. Brought it back to a jig on the bench..
    jig.jpg
    And used a few chisels to clear out the waste....then a dry fit..
    back.jpg
    And, make sure the back is the right height. Got both sides done. Had to bevel the edges of the 1/4" plywood to FIT into the 1/4" ( #12 cutter) grooves. Started to glue the drawer up...plywood AND the back were each a 1/4" too long? Grrrr, a quick trip to the bandsaw to remove the offending excess.....Glue on the fingers, again, but 6 clamps later..
    clamped up.jpg
    Set this mess aside. Even made a mess on the floor, again..
    shavings.jpg
    We have broom for such things...

Getting a bit long with this episode, soo BRB, stay tuned...

The reason I broke this up.....the other half of this afternoon's "Follies" involve a bit of work..
    Got the two sides for the next drawer out. One was a hair wider....Junior Jack to fix that. Figured out which to make "Inside" "Top" and Bottom, after opening the paired sides like a book.
    sides.jpg
    Not the prettiest, back they are sides for a drawer. Set these aside, to work on the next drawer front.....had a curve to one edge..
    jointed.jpg
    A No. 7 was a tad long, so I used a #5-1/2 to get rid of the curve.
    Used one of the sides to check on width....
    bandsawn.jpg
    yep, need a bit off the "top" Jumbo Jack back to work..
    jointed edge.jpg
    Remember, this is Curly Maple I am working with...Double checked for width.....then into the vise to lay out some pins..
    pins.jpg
    Hmmmm, methinks this is going to be...."FUN"
    Swept the floor, had errands to run. MIGHT try a little saw work later, after Supper?

I think I'm gaining on it.....stay tuned..

Had a yard to mow tonight,,,,a brand new 21" push mower. Kind of tired, remembered I had left the fan on in the shop..stumbled my way to the shop, shut the fan off, but...not before I had removed the clamps from the glue up. Will try again in the morning, and see IF I can get that drawer done, and the next to last one IN the clamps....

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Had a yard to mow tonight,,,,a brand new 21" push mower. Kind of tired, remembered I had left the fan on in the shop..stumbled my way to the shop, shut the fan off, but...not before I had removed the clamps from the glue up. Will try again in the morning, and see IF I can get that drawer done, and the next to last one IN the clamps....
    I have not seen a push mower in Texas in 20 years. I have a riding mower, seldom use it.

A yard service cuts my grass. This old dog does not cut grass anymore.

Didn't have much choice...the city will fine people for too tall grass,....

Anyway, back to work...
    IMG_1526 (640x480).jpg
    These were "fun" to do..this after the backsaw was done..
    IMG_1527 (640x480).jpg
    Used these, and the pins on the other end, to layout the tails. Once the tails were done, and fitted up, I place Drawer #4 in it's new home for now..
    IMG_1529 (640x480).jpg
    The one above it needed a few things done..
    IMG_1530 (640x480).jpg
    Corners planed smooth..
    IMG_1531 (640x480).jpg
    Screws added to reinforce the back corners..and
    IMG_1532 (640x480).jpg
    Some to reinforce the bottom....hate saggy bottoms...

Added a couple knobs. Had to line them up with the two above the drawer, and centered in the drawer front..
    IMG_1533 (640x480).jpg
    Busy morning. may, or may not work on Drawer #4.....laid on some Poplar for the back of the drawer. Plywood for the bottom? need to cut the panel for the back of the case, first. Then I can see where to cut the drawer bottom panels at. Late Lunch, today....

Stay tuned...

Because all I WAS going to do was get a couple measurements.... I didn't get the camera out.

Ok measurements taken of the back of the case, to see what size panel I needed to cut....came back upstairs to the 4' x 4' panel....and tried to mark a few lines....wound up tossing the panel on top of the dinning room table, grabbing a 4' level as a straight edge. Was getting a bit flustered....

Hauled that panel outside to cut it with a cordless circular saw.....wound up needing a little rool-around cooler to help hold it still. Then fought to get the "remains" back into the house, and the saw, and the panel I needed to cut...about tossed it down the steps to the shop....

Dry fit showed a wavy line needed trimmed off...bandsaw worked just fine. Screws to attach the back wanted to go anywhere but into the wood. Back was installed, inspite of itself.

Walnut plugs were popped out, a dab of glue applied, and then they were hammered into the counter-bored holes in the case's front. Drawers were sliding all over the place, finally just set them aside. Got the plugs down, laid the case on it's side..and hammered in the foot pads. Then stood the case back up. Swept the floor, then put the case back where it was. re-installed the drawers. Decided to at least cut a back for drawer #4 out of Poplar..

Had it marked for the cut, was going to clamp it to the bench....went and got the saw, then clamped the board. Saw is a Disston D-8 crosscut. I even rubbed the plate with that old candle..

Set the cut-off part into the scrap stack, and then planed the end grain square. Hauled a load from the dryer up the steps, and closed the shop...had more than enough fun for one day...

Stay tuned...

Ok, LONG road trip today, not much shop time....

Pictures of the aftermath of last night's follies?
    IMG_1540 (640x480).jpg
    After all that cussing and fussing, back is installed. Just screws, in case one needs to remove the back in the future...
    IMG_1539 (640x480).jpg
    The Walnut plugs that wer hammered in, with a dab of glue....and made the drawers move around too much...
    IMG_1538 (640x480).jpg
    The Poplar plank for Drawer #4's back. I used a Disston D-8. Saw was made about 1953....same age as me. Can still read the etch on the 8 point, 26" crosscut saw.
    IMG_1537 (640x480).jpg
    Got everything back in place.

Picked a light for the bench, today..$2
    IMG_1541 (640x480).jpg
    So...maybe I can actually see what I am doing?
    Cleaned out under the bandsaw today...
    IMG_1542 (640x480).jpg
    even found a few tools that had slipped off the back of the bench...
    Need to clean a couple tools up, from the rust hunt, this morning.
    .IMG_1535 (640x480).jpg
    Even found a new chair ...
    IMG_1534 (640x480).jpg
    $5...same place I found the light.

Not a great day...still got something done, inspite of last night.....better luck tomorrow?

Stay tuned..

Been working out a solution to a problem with the drawers.....it will be a bit of a surprise when I am ready to show it off. Top two drawers have been worked on, as a test run....

One drawer is clamped up, waiting on glue to cure. Drawer #2 is waiting on those clamps, so it can be glued up, too

Then a bit of trimming, maybe a little sanding, then back into the case...maybe then I'll post a picture. Need to get busy on the last two drawer builds. Drawer #3 will get the "FIX" once the other two are done.

Stay tuned....

One little hint...someone complained about those "exposed" dovetails on the drawer fronts.....there is a way, used long ago, to cover up such exposed things....think about it.....

getting taken out to Lunch today, Pastor whats to thank the Boss and I for that desk I built him.....that he now uses to teach from. Soooo, since I am all dressed up, I am "Banned" from the shop, until after we get back home!!! Not allowed to get this brand new shirt the least bit dirty, after all.

Maybe this evening, I can get a few pictures of the "exposed" drawer front fix?

Stay tuned....

Hmmm, Got some Maple Noodles made...
    noodles.jpg
    Some dados made..
    dado.jpg
    A dry fit, after cutting a plywood panel and the back to final size.
    clamped up 2.jpg
    Then glue, clamps and screws. I also glued up a smaller drawer..
    glued up 1.jpg
    There is a hint of what was done....IF you look closely....
    Stanley 45 works nicely for these grooves..
    groovy.jpg
    Now, about those "exposed" dovetails someone was complaining about. ( even complained about the plywood AND the bandsaw...horrors!)
    trimmed out.jpg
    I supposed this will just have to do....can't have naked dovetails running around...

Stay tuned....

This being a Monday....Shop is normally Closed.

Depending on how bored I get today, that is....

Might try to get the last plank of Maple down to the shop...need it for the last drawer build.

Stay tuned

( "Master Baggins, I suggest you keep up.")

Was only going to remove some clamps......Drawer #4 now has two knobs, and the walnut trim done,,,,then set aside, all clamped up..
    glued up.jpg
    Got to be a better way to attach those strips....
    I cleaned up the walnut on Drawer #2
    drawer #2.jpg
    Which left Drawer #3....a few saw cuts...
    backsaw.jpg
    From both sides. Then some chisels and rasps, and a slick, to clean the "bed" for each strip of walnut....added a coat of Elmer's and mooshed it around....then pinned it in place with a few small nails....that Ill drive out of sight later...Place this drawer back in the case..
    Drawer #3.jpg
    Hmm, needed to bring that plank down to the shop....8' long does not work very well going down those steps....or trying to land it on the bench.....had the saw ready....cut a couple parts about 24-1/4" long...kept the better of the two for a front..
    drawer parts.jpg
    Saw is a 1953 Disston D-8..8ppi, crosscut. Has a fully readable etch..
    D-8.jpg
    And, cuts as well as the operator can make it....
    Soo, this is about the best of this plank, and it will be the bottom drawer's front..
    drawer front.jpg
    Some of that plank looked like trouble..
    troubled grain.jpg
    A little too much going on, for a drawer front? Splits and Knots.....

Wasn't much done today...might have been a little more exciting than that "Eclipse"....seen through a thunderstorm....

Stay tuned, I might get something done, tomorrow...

Impressive!

Blog Entries
    In deed, it is impressive.