Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to woodturning

New to woodturning

I'm relatively new to wood turning. I've taken 2 classes in wood turning. Lures and Pens. I'm pretty sure I'm hooked. I'm not new to wood working as I do a lot of CNC and other misc stuff but I'm not familiar at all with lathes. Is it something I can buy and learn on my own through practice and you tube or should I just continue to take classes until I hone my skills? Just looking for opinions or recommendations.

I think the best way to learn woodturning is to find a nearby club. A club will have a mentoring program that will give you hands on help with a mentor. To find a club, search " woodturning club, your city, state".

I've definitely looked into that. Unfortunately my local club has a summer hiatus until October, no meetings or mentoring. But I'm definitely joining up when they start back up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristin Forbes View Post
    I'm relatively new to wood turning. I've taken 2 classes in wood turning. Lures and Pens. I'm pretty sure I'm hooked. I'm not new to wood working as I do a lot of CNC and other misc stuff but I'm not familiar at all with lathes. Is it something I can buy and learn on my own through practice and you tube or should I just continue to take classes until I hone my skills? Just looking for opinions or recommendations.
    I agree with Dwight, a club is extremely valuable. If you list where you live in your profile someone may know of resources in your area. Both of the clubs I attend have people willing to help. I often have new wood turners in my shop, for example, these two vet students at their second lesson (1st lesson is an intro to spindle turning and the skew chisel):

Girls_IMG_20150804_121948_936_lathes.jpg Girls_IMG_20150804_203606_bowls.jpg

You can learn so much from watching and asking questions and getting feedback. That said, I learned woodturning primarily from books, especially two: Fundamentals of Woodturning by Mike Darlow and Turning Wood by Richard Raffan. I have many others, but I like these two so much I keep extra copies to loan to new turners. To me books are SO much more complete and useful than videos or even full DVDs produced by the same person who wrote the book.

YouTube is great and awful. There are many good turners and videos and maybe more horrible videos that teach bad technique and unsafe practices. AAW (American Association of Woodturners) has a growing compilation of videos they have checked for quality and safety issues. http://aawvideosource.org/ and click "Continue to Library" to the right. The web page and user interface leaves a lot to be desired but the videos are good. The AAW is good to join as well an has a lot of resources.

Do you have a lathe now? Most woodturners, including me, buy the wrong lathe at first then upgrade it later. The problem is when starting out no one knows enough about what they want to do and the best way to approach it. For that reason, taking more classes and attending lots of demos is a good way to start.

If you happen to live near East TN or find your self driving through, I'm not far from Knoxville. I have multiple lathes and a shop with heat and air. I have plenty of wood. Cost for sessions and lessons is zero. (I do this for fun!) I have a few (very few) photo in an album here if you are interested to see a few things I like to turn.

Above all, don't hesitate to ask any question here! This web site (and others) has a critical mass of experience, creativity, and helpful people.

JKJ

Is it something I can buy and learn on my own through practice...?
    The short answer is yes. I am self taught, did not join a club until I had already developed fairly good skills and I did not take any lessons. However, that was simply a result of me not knowing anyone that turned and being unaware of the existence of a club in a nearby city. No doubt, the process may have been quicker had I approached it differently. I will say that the mistakes I made were all valuable and the lessons learned along the way "stuck" perhaps better than they would had I not experienced those mistakes.

Eight years ago I bought my first lathe simply to do a set of legs for a table I was building. I turned a prototype leg and then successfully turned the table legs. As it "turns out" that was the last piece of furniture I built until recently! Turning can be an incurable disease.

I do feel woodturning comes to some folks easier than it does for others. I had half a century of woodworking history that included a lot of hand tool use. I also had a background with art, generally, and none of that shouldn't be taken for granted. Without knowing your background or your innate skill set, it is hard to say how it will go for you.

Left click my name for homepage link.

Get a lathe and start turning. A good MIDI lathe is reasonably priced and you can get a good set of starter tool from Penn State. Like John I'm self taught and the best way to learn is start making things and learn as you go.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I agree with Dwight, a club is extremely valuable. If you list where you live in your profile someone may know of resources in your area. Both of the clubs I attend have people willing to help. I often have new wood turners in my shop, for example, these two vet students at their second lesson (1st lesson is an intro to spindle turning and the skew chisel):

Girls_IMG_20150804_121948_936_lathes.jpg Girls_IMG_20150804_203606_bowls.jpg

You can learn so much from watching and asking questions and getting feedback. That said, I learned woodturning primarily from books, especially two: Fundamentals of Woodturning by Mike Darlow and Turning Wood by Richard Raffan. I have many others, but I like these two so much I keep extra copies to loan to new turners. To me books are SO much more complete and useful than videos or even full DVDs produced by the same person who wrote the book.

YouTube is great and awful. There are many good turners and videos and maybe more horrible videos that teach bad technique and unsafe practices. AAW (American Association of Woodturners) has a growing compilation of videos they have checked for quality and safety issues. http://aawvideosource.org/ and click "Continue to Library" to the right. The web page and user interface leaves a lot to be desired but the videos are good. The AAW is good to join as well an has a lot of resources.

Do you have a lathe now? Most woodturners, including me, buy the wrong lathe at first then upgrade it later. The problem is when starting out no one knows enough about what they want to do and the best way to approach it. For that reason, taking more classes and attending lots of demos is a good way to start.

If you happen to live near East TN or find your self driving through, I'm not far from Knoxville. I have multiple lathes and a shop with heat and air. I have plenty of wood. Cost for sessions and lessons is zero. (I do this for fun!) I have a few (very few) photo in an album here if you are interested to see a few things I like to turn.

Above all, don't hesitate to ask any question here! This web site (and others) has a critical mass of experience, creativity, and helpful people.

JKJ
    Thank you for the info. I'll definitely look up those books and AAW website. I am located in Columbus Ohio.

Mostly taught from books and some videos. What is hard to learn that way is safety. That is where hands-on instruction and lessons at the beginning would help.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Mostly taught from books and some videos. What is hard to learn that way is safety. That is where hands-on instruction and lessons at the beginning would help.

That's always the most important part. That's why I'm worried about learning on my own.

That's always the most important part. That's why I'm worried about learning on my own.
    I'm not convinced that safety is hard to learn from books. Most of the books I have, especially the better ones, are careful to include information on working safely at the lathe - speeds, stance, protective gear, appropriate tools and cuts.

I learned almost everything from books and experimenting before I found a club. It was a long time before I took a course or saw an expert demo.

One think I've said repeatedly and for a reason - there are big advantages to learning spindle turning first before starting on bowls. Many expert turners agree. Raffan, Darlow, Kieth Rowley, Jimmy Clewes, and Frank Penta have all said this in works or in print. Spindle turning will teach you the fine tool control that will let you turn anything, including bowls and platters of any size. It doesn't work the other way. I know some good bowl turners who could turn a thin spindle if they had to.

When I teach beginners the first tool in their hands is the skew chisel. It usually only takes about 20 minutes before they are planing cylinders, then start on v-grooves. Compare that to the "jokes" often told by turners that the skew is only good for opening paint cans, as a negative rake scraper, or for grinding into something else. I'm convinced the skew is the absolute best tool for learning the relationship of the bevel and edge to the cut. I give them a prepared cylinder and then turn the lathe by hand until they can feel what makes it cut and what it takes to control the cut. Very simple, actually. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

I have a brother not far from Columbus (Marysville). He wants to come for a couple of days for an introductory lathe lesson and his wife for the cooking. (My Lovely Bride is the best cook in the SouthEast!) Road trip, car pool, turning lessons - I can easily accommodate two or three!

JKJ

i agree. I'm a scroll sawyer as a rule, & self taught wood worker. I started reading books while I was still driving OTR. My loving bride decided I needed a hobby after my sawbones told me if I didn't quit eatin', sleepin', thinkin, & livin' trucks, they were goin' to drop me in a deep hole! So, she decided i needed to take up woodworking.

I'd never been around it. Bein' in the trucking business all my life, I had to learn from the start. tools, wood, finish, blades, etc. It took near 6 months of reading before i even bought anything. My first tools were a RAS, TS, router & a few bits, a palm sander, drill & a few bits, & single speed scroll saw, all used. I finally jumped in & just kept at it. That was 26 years ago.

Two years ago, I started doin' a little turning to go along with some of my scroll projects. I picked up a used HF lathe, a few tools, read some more books, & started turning. It's addicting & alot of fun. I don't get the time I'd like to have to turn because my scroll saw keeps me busy. There are no clubs within a 100 miles of here. One turner here in town that does it occasionally. So, I'm self taught there, too. I just replaced the old HF lathe w/a new HF lathe last year. Like i said, I don't do enough to justify a big fancy one. In my honest opinion, I believe the only way to learn it is to read, read, read, then ask questions & hands on. We have multiple levels of turners here, with numerous types of lathes, tools & styles of turning. Extremely valuable information to be had here! Jump in, get your feet wet, & start learnin'!
    Last edited by Brad Barnhart; 08-13-2017 at 11:02 PM.
    Sawdust703

A condensed version of the above advise, is read the recomended books, watch you-tube , ask questions on web-sites like this one, get a lathe and start turning. It's like learning to swim, you can read all the books and watch you-tubes but until you get in the water, you'll never learn to swim.

Jay Mullins

" A bird can fly, but a fly can't bird."

Blog Entries
    Welcome to the forum, Kristin. I'm also a beginner, though I have a couple or 3 years on you, and have found the members here want to help you any way they can. Great bunch of folks.
    Good luck with your wood turning journey.

Kristen if I were you I would take another lesson or two until September when you join the club in your area. If you decide turning is what you want to do there hopefully will be folks in the club that will gladly show you the ropes and show you their shops and equipment. They do not call woodturning a vortex for no reason, it sucks you in. A little advice is to buy the best lathe you can afford (even if you have to spend a couple hundred more than you initially plan). Do not buy a set of tools, get a good 1/2" bowl gouge and learn how to use it. A sharpening system and a decent grinder are a requirement as is a decent chuck (there are a lot of good chucks out there). There will usually be a face plate with the lathe and that is a good starting point to hold your pieces to start. After you join the club take advantage of every opportunity they offer to learn. The Central Ohio Woodturners in your area have 7 mentors listed on their website and I would try calling one or all and see about getting together with one or two before the first meeting in September (second Tuesday of the month). Wish you luck as this woodturning thing is really great!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Mullins View Post
    ...It's like learning to swim, you can read all the books and watch you-tubes but until you get in the water, you'll never learn to swim.
    Jay, that's an excellent point. When I started I kept the book and a chair at the lathe. My method was: Read one section. Try. Repeat as needed.

Then I would read what a different author wrote about the same thing and try that if different.

I used the same method over the years for learning Photoshop, 3D graphics, computer programming, chip carving, etc.

One thing we sometimes skip is the practice. I read something like this for learning spindle turning:
    - Rough and plane a cylinder from a 2x2 or so. (A piece cut from a pine 2x4 is perfect.)
    - Cut grooves with a skew.
    - Turn beads and coves.
    - Turn those away.
    - Repeat.
    After you do about 10 of these you will start to get the hang of it! We usually want to move on quickly. I understand before woodturning education became artisan-based, such repetitive practice was required by industrial arts schools here (and apprenticeship programs across the Atlantic).

JKJ