Thread: Cabinet with marquetry on door

Cabinet with marquetry on door

I finally finished a cabinet I started last fall in a class on veneering at Santa Fe Community College.

Front-small.jpg

Inside-small.jpg

The cabinet frame is walnut veneer (bandsawn) on 1/2" Baltic birch. The door is 1/4" Baltic birch in a solid walnut frame.

I had read that article in Fine Woodworking on mitered bridle joints, so I tried it out on the door. It was a struggle - the top rail was re-done 3 times before I got it right. I'm not sure if I'll do it again - it's a really fiddly joint to make.

The first time I made the marquetry panel it buckled when it was glued to the substrate and the wrinkles could not be sanded out. So I remade the panel and used hide glue the second time. I also change the process from using a vacuum press to using weight pressure. I put the panel between two sheets of 3/4" MDF and put concrete blocks on top.

One thing I learned in the marquetry process was to use application tape on the veneer. It stayed on the front of the veneer until after glue-up. It was easy to remove and it was handy to be able to write on it.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Your perseverance paid off Johanna. Beautiful work!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

That is gorgeous,always wanted to do marquetry.Very nice thanks for posting

Love the colors and use of grain patterns. Reminds me of Salvadore Dali painting that's also useful!

great job. lovethe colors
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Great job!

Every project is and should be a learning experience for each and every one of us...that's what ultimately makes it worthwhile and enjoyable!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...