Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Tools that are much better than you expected

Quote Originally Posted by peter gagliardi View Post
    Vortex brand router bits are the best I have used by a loooooooooooong shot.
    Seriously, nothing I have used comes even close.
    Either their geometry, or their sharpening, or both is just in a class above.
    The level of finish, along with the almost effortless amount of force it takes to cut a full 1" deep in Hemlock in 1 pass with a 1/2" diameter bit, coupled with how quietly it does it is impressive.
    Peter,
    Have you had a chance to compare them to Freud Quadracuts? If so, I'd love to hear your experiences because the Freuds have been the same thing for me (so far).

Good tip on the Barr hand forged chisels too. Thanks.
    Thanks,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 09-10-2017 at 3:30 PM.

Fred,
    no, I actually stopped buying anything Freud a few years back- they cut good for about 10 minutes, then the edge is toast.
    They were plenty sharp, but the edge just did not last- router bits, sawblades are what I have used. Maybe their carbide is different.
    I do think the Vortex quality is in proportion to their price, but I generally can't stand cheap stuff- especially tools.

Fred,
    no, I actually stopped buying anything Freud a few years back- they cut good for about 10 minutes, then the edge is toast.
    They were plenty sharp, but the edge just did not last- router bits, sawblades are what I have used. Maybe their carbide is different.
    I do think the Vortex quality is in proportion to their price, but I generally can't stand cheap stuff- especially tools.
    Thanks Peter!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Reischl View Post
    Wixey Angle gage. No more "tweaking ad nauseam" to set up bevel cuts. Also useful for squaring up other machines. Can be used to set the miter gage on the TS too. Handy little dude for about $30. Saved that in trial cuts and frustration.
    Woah. How are you setting the miter gauge with that angle gauge?

I'm not sure if it's bad form to revive an old thread?

For me: Fein vac (the older, variable suction, tool activated one); Makita Tracksaw. Mirka Deros, Sawstop JSS;
    Those were truly gamechangers for me. Before, i had no dust collection, couldn't work with sheet goods, hated sanding, and didn't trust using a tablesaw.

Out of those, the Deros/vac combination is probably the biggest gamechanger.

The worksharp 3000 and their kitchen knife motorized belt sharpener. Sharpening is very much not my favorite thing to do... These make it way way more enjoyable.

WoodCraft Woodriver socket chisels. I was a bit iffy but decided to try one out. These have become my go-to favorite bench chisel.

Jet 22/44 drum sander. How did I ever live without this thing?

Dewalt brand Fein Multimaster knock off... I think this tool gets used at least once in every single project I do... Wow these things are fantastic.

John i look forward to your post on the fritz and franz jig...yours appears to be one of the best i have seen...will you detail the construction of it?

1. Makita AF505N Brad Nailer - it was my first pneumatic tool purchased last year after almost 30 years at woodworking. By the heavens, how did I survive so long without one?

2. Lie Nielsen no. 60 1/2 Block Plane - I had mixed feelings when using hand planes for decades, up to see the light! This stuff is now used by myself frequently making glorious shavings

3. Modern battery tools - I use battery tools since 1985 and I had purchased several of them in the past years but up to recently my newest one was 15 years old. I purchased last year drill and impact driver from DeWalt, brushless 20V. The difference is day to night from my old tools (I gave or trashed all my other battery tools since I got DeWalt's). The surprise continued when I purchased recently the portable DeWalt light (20V battery, 1,000 lumens). All absolutely great and useful tools. It is a joy to use them

4. Freud Professional table saw blades - a completely different league from my old Irwin, DeWalt, Makita or Bosch blades... I liked them so much I have purchased in the last few months three different Freud Professional 10-inch blades for my table saw

5. Starrett EC799A-6/150 Electronic Caliper - I won my first caliper when I went to the University on 1979/1980, an East European model my father purchased for himself at 1950s... of course, it isn't digital. I graduated in Engineering and I never was tempted to look for a digital version for that tool up to I decided to give a chance... OMG, what a surprise!
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 04-10-2018 at 9:02 PM. Reason: typo error, as usual...

HF allen or hex key wrenches are excellent quality.

Bosh 12V max drill driver set.

My new Bosh Colt palm router.
    Charlie Jones

Kärcher WD5 Shop Vac. More suction power than my CT 26 at a fraction of the price.
    Fein 18V Brushless drill. Toolnut had a crazy sale on these a while back so I bought two. Now wishing I'd purchased two more for the other shop.
    Felo driver bits and wooden handle screwdrivers. The tips on both seem to last forever.
    Tekton socket sets and wrenches. Amazingly nice stuff for the price. Quality is very near Snap-on and certainly a cut above the old Craftsman wrenches.

martin tablesaw - for sure. i expected a lot, and, it's better.

one at the top of my list is the set of Mac Campshure Airtight clamps. they are fantastic. it's changed the way i use my slider, and in fact, my fritz-and-franz jig is now pretty much in storage...

oh, and the Kremlin sprayer is unbelievable, faster and higher quality than i knew was possible.

Fred,
    peter i've also been using the vortex cutters, they do seem nice. have you compared them to the amana coated cutters - especially the compression cutters? just curious if the advertised life expectancy of the coated amanas actually exceeds the vortex...

Quote Originally Posted by Osvaldo Cristo View Post
    The surprise continued when I purchased recently the portable DeWalt light (20V battery, 1,000 lumens).
    I bought one of those a few months ago. It's awesome.

Ryobi 18-volt ONE+ tools. I love the drill and impulse driver I have along with the 4" circular saw. Plan to add the battery powered nailers to replace my air tools. I hate having to stop an hook up air.

The HF mobile miter saw stand. Really quite good for the price.
    Marshall
    ---------------------------
    A Stickley fan boy.

Toro electric leaf blower. Sweep up the big stuff and blow the rest of it out the door.