Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxing philosophical - hand planes

Waxing philosophical - hand planes

I started down the slippery slope about 3 years ago and I have planes, chisels, spokeshaves, backsaws, marking gauges and marking knives - plus a TON of sharpening stuff. For me, I think the biggest single game changer for my woodworking are my planes. I have the full variety. But each and every one of them lets me do something I couldn't before - take very controlled cuts to improve the fit and/or finish of each project I build.

I can tune the fit of a drawer, improve the way my boards glue up, smooth the surface to near perfection without sandpaper and improve the fit of dados and grooves beyond what my () tablesaw can ever do.

Yeah, my chisels and backsaws are great. But for me, learning to sharpen and use handplanes has made a huge difference.

What tool made the difference for you?

Fred

Planes, too, as well as chisels.
    A good, well sharpened chisel is a thing of beauty, and capable of just as controlled of a cut as any hand plane. And it is a natural extension of the hand.
    I'm building my first bench. One of the great joys in doing so was using a chisel to do very basic, rough type work like splitting tenon, and then turning around and fine tuning the fit of those same tenon by making super thin, very precise cuts with that same chisel.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    What tool made the difference for you?
    DermaBond. Without it I would have had to stop drinking while working wood...

Frederick,

Interesting question. You asked about tools. Definitely hand planes, especially bevel up planes. The LV shooting plane and a shooting board top the list. Learning to sharpen on sandpaper and then learning to sharpen by hand (not that I can sharpen every blade without a jig).

Other than a specific tool, the things that radically changed my woodworking skills are (1) learning that I had to check and adjust every tool in my shop to perform as I assumed it would when received; (2) learning that s4s lumber is not necessarily square, flat, etc.; (3) learning to find, mark and use a reference edge on every board every time; (4) learning that hand work methods are essential, even if I am using a power tool. Another way to say that is that I learned to mark the work as if I was going to work it by hand and not necessarily rely on a power tool setup to cut where I want.

There's more but I will try to keep this short.

Doug

I heard about a WWII Japanese tool kit which used a chisel as the blade for the wooden plane that was in the kit. Slight saving in weight or cost.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I heard about a WWII Japanese tool kit which used a chisel as the blade for the wooden plane that was in the kit. Slight saving in weight or cost.
    Hi George! I could see that. If I'm carrying my toolbox on my back, every once less would be a blessing. Also, LV sells a gadget today that does something similar, here.

Saws. I love saws. Until I bought a one-man logging saw, I had to hew all my trees down. Before my coping saw, carving was a peach, a bow saw would be better though. Of course, all of my carpentry would lack greatly with out my complete set of crosscuts and rips. That said, it's kind of hard to pick one tool that completely changed the way I work. I used to do work without most of my current tools, but I can't imagine work without any of them now.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

The need to produce work to a competitive standard, on schedule, and to budget has been the 'engine of difference' in my shop. Anyone that has been doing this for a bit knows a guy that have a large, well equipped shop which produces little more than the occasional shop aid or practice dovetail. They also likely know a few fellow woodworkers with far-from-ideal shop situations that produce well regarded work. In my view, that work drives the exploration of tools, techniques, and skills development to a greater degree than the reverse.

Frederick, I agree with your comments. For me, learning what sharp is, and then being able to get all my blades to that level, has become the gateway to more enjoyable woodworking. Having (or acquiring) all the tools is just the extra "fun" now.

With out a doubt, a card scraper. Properly sharpened it is magic!
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

Fred, for me it was the opposite. Planes got me into this, but learning to use chisels and saws properly are the biggest breakthrough in my woodworking. Using the right tool for the job instead of trying to do everything (rough dimensioning particularly) with a plane.

I think the biggest thing is the wealth of information out there on the internet, whether it be watching someone use tools effectively, learning new techniques, getting inspiration from completed work, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    "A plane is just a jig that holds a chisel" - T. Lie-Nielsen

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    DermaBond. Without it I would have had to stop drinking while working wood...
    Well, this got me thinking....
    Maybe whiskey is the most important tool. It very quickly allows me to care much less how my mortises look.
    What other tool allows you to be a better woodworker with no practice?

Blog Entries
    I buy a lot from Lee Valley, but the chisel plane left me cold.