Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A friend passed away. Need some thoughts on pricing his tools for sale.

Blog Entries
    I'm 81 and sometimes wonder what my wife would do with my tools in case I pass away. (I sure don't dwell on it)

How in the world could she put a value on the stuff. My estate would not support hiring a conservator.

Do any of you know of a list of used tool values?

OBTW, I fitness walk for 1+ miles each day and experience no discomfort doing so. I have done this for about 15 years.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-15-2017 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I'm 81 and sometimes wonder what my wife would do with my tools in case I pass away. (I sure don't dwell on it)

How in the world could she put a value on the stuff. My estate would not support hiring a conservator.

Do any of you know of a list of used tool values?

OBTW, I fitness walk for 1+ miles each day and experience no discomfort doing so. I have done this for about 15 years.
    Lowell,
    A while back, I started an inventory of my tools. I looked some stuff up on ebay, but mostly went with prices I would consider reasonable if I were to purchase it again. I did this for my wife in case she had to sell it after I'm gone. It will help her out if she is ever in my friend's wife's shoes. But I don't use most of the Craftsman power tools he had and what the value would be, feeling it would be lower than top quality stuff. That is why I asked here.

On a side note, it sounds like you are doing great, and to be walking over a mile a day at 81 is fantastic! Keep it up!

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Wilson View Post
    This will not be a helpful comment, but a very good friend died a few years ago and his wife asked me to please take what woodworking tools I wanted from his garage.

He was not much of a woodworker, but I did take a set of bar clamps. Now, whenever I hold one of of his clamps and tighten it onto a workpiece, I cannot help but think of my buddy's hand holding it in that exact manner in his own work. It's a neat way to remember him.

No help with pricing, but the question provoked a good thought of my buddy.
    Yeah, there a couple small hand tools I plan to buy from her myself for this very reason.

You can get a good idea of what is selling and what isn't by watching craigslist and/or kijiji. Look at what people are asking for comparable products and see how long the ads stay up. $125 (cdn = about 97USD) for a working craftsman 6" jointer might be gone in two days - i.e. that's too cheap. An ad for a 14" Mastercraft bandsaw at $80 that stays up for a month tells you what that's worth etc etc

I'll be leaving all my junk to charity. I'd hate to burden my family by making them deal with a bunch of cheapskate lowballers like myself.

Find a reputable local on-line auction house and let the bidders fight it out.

http://bid.sheridanauctionservice.co...alog/id/16013/

Ed