Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Scroll Saw selection

I think most scroll saws are on a stand with the same size footprint. I am not aware of any that you can store "on a shelf."

Another vote for Hegner. Had a Dewalt and hated it. Was no use of me doing stack cutting as the blade runs at such angles causing top and bottom pieces to be no where near identical. The Hegner isn't perfect but is far better for stack cutting. They make several different sizes and are built to last with high quality motors and bearings. The older Dewalt were made in Canada but then moved to China or Mexico. The new ones I have seen were no where near as nicely finished as the original version.

Most scroll saws have vibration due to their stroke action so work best anchored to a stand with some mass. My Dewalt and Hegner had to be clamped to a bench or attached to a stand to use.
    Last edited by Peter Kuhlman; 08-23-2017 at 5:50 PM.

The Excalibur is no longer available or should I say out of production at this time??
    Last edited by richard poitras; 08-23-2017 at 6:48 PM.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Unfortunately, a quality scroll saw is neither light weight or small. I have a Hegner and like it. I just tried an Excalibur this last week and took a good look at the new Seyco.

I would suggest visiting Scroll Saw Village forum to get better info from those folks with lots of experience. What saw you get depends on exactly what you want to do with it. That forum has lots of examples of different types of projects.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    Unfortunately, a quality scroll saw is neither light weight or small. I have a Hegner and like it. I just tried an Excalibur this last week and took a good look at the new Seyco.

I would suggest visiting Scroll Saw Village forum to get better info from those folks with lots of experience. What saw you get depends on exactly what you want to do with it. That forum has lots of examples of different types of projects.
    I'm gathering that a decent Saw is too large and heavy for my shop. I would like to start including scrolling into my projects, may just get a light cheepo model, and see how it goes.

The really low cost saws use blades with pins. You will quickly realize that the scroll saws under about $200 new are of very little use. The pin type blades prevent doing most inside cuts as the hole you drill would be so large. I feel they are a total waste of money.

I highly recommend you search for used saws on Craigslist and other such sites. Often people find they don't use the saw enough and sell it. You are likely to find a saw worth using and keeping.

At another forum web site, I read an article where the guy was unable to provide support to a website user so he contacted the local GI Excalibur salesman. According to the article, GI sold the Excalibur scroll saw to King Canada who is now manufacturing it rebranded as Excelsior. There were comments about the possibility of King Canada potentially allowing the quality of the Excelsior not remain at the same high quality of it's Excalibur predecessor.

The same article said GI was too busy building scroll saws for Jet to take care of their own brand.

I looked at the Jet 22" scroll saw and it sure appears very similar to my Excalibur. One responder to the article had a wife who is a professional scrollsawer. She saws 6-8 hours a day. The motor on her Excalibur burned up. She was going to have to wait for a replacement so she bought a Jet. She's had several saws of different brands but prefers her Excalibur and her Jet.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Would a 10" bandsaw do what you need? The Rikon (Craftsman) 10" saw is available from $200-300. Won't do inside cuts of course but will do outside scrolling with a narrow blade plus other type work. Not very lite weight and while a compact base they are tall. I have one and it is sure useful. Also have a 14" bandsaw but the small one gets used a lot now for outdoor projects.

I have the dewalt and am quite happy with it. It is heavy but not that hard to move down below the bench when not in use. I have never had a need to bolt it down.

I haven't used one (I have a DeWalt), but Proxxon makes a scroll saw with a very different form factor.
    37088_5779c3ad-9348-4d12-a270-bf757c8af781_1024x1024.jpg
    At $150, it's also cheap enough that you might be willing to give it a try and not go broke if it doesn't do the job.
    https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collecti...l-saw-ds-115-e

They have a larger model, but I'm not sure it's any space savings from an Excaliber, DeWalt, Hengel, etc.
    https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collecti...oll-saw-ds-460

I've got a vintage Rockwell 40-440 with variable speed Reeves drive for sale.....buy that :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Felps View Post
    I haven't used one (I have a DeWalt), but Proxxon makes a scroll saw with a very different form factor.
    37088_5779c3ad-9348-4d12-a270-bf757c8af781_1024x1024.jpg
    At $150, it's also cheap enough that you might be willing to give it a try and not go broke if it doesn't do the job.
    https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collecti...l-saw-ds-115-e

They have a larger model, but I'm not sure it's any space savings from an Excaliber, DeWalt, Hengel, etc.
    https://proxxon-us-shop.com/collecti...oll-saw-ds-460

I think the smaller Proxxon looks promising, need to do some research. Thanks.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Johanna, you have the coolest name ever!
    Thanks, John. There are quite a few members of my Norwegian family who have the same name. We seem to lack imagination.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    I'm gathering that a decent Saw is too large and heavy for my shop. I would like to start including scrolling into my projects, may just get a light cheepo model, and see how it goes.
    One nice thing about scroll saws is that they do not create all that much dust. I think it would be reasonable to use one in the house. The issue, as others have stated, is that the saw does have to be attached to something heavy enough to absorb vibration.

I wonder if there is someone in your area who would be willing to let you try their saw to see if you are going to enjoy using a scroll saw. Try making a puzzle or doing some very simple marquetry - whatever you think you are going to be using it for.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico