Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help with Scroll Saw selection

Help with Scroll Saw selection

In the market for a scroll saw, something for small projects and inlays. Maybe for more in the future.

I"m not very price sensitive, I'll gladly spend more for a better tool.

However, I am space limited, and I plan on keeping this on a shelf.

Id like a small relatively light Saw that I can store away and not take up much space, but still packed with quality features.

Any recommendations?

can't go wrong with a 16" excaliber.sp ?i can even use #00 blades with the right tension.
    Last edited by larry senen; 08-14-2017 at 1:20 PM.

I don't know if any scroll saws are smaller than average. I have an RBI Hawk and love it. That said, it's on a stand that allows me to sit to use it and that stand takes up quite a bit of space.
    Johanna
    Placitas, New Mexico

Since money is no object, I would look at the Excalibur brand scroll saws. What is different about it and one other brand is that the blade assembly tilts and not the table. Thus, you are not fighting gravity on an angled surface as you are cutting. I bought the 21" version Excalibur.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by larry senen View Post
    can't go wrong with a 16" excaliber.sp ?i can even use #00 blades with the right tension.
    Thanks I will look into that

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna Johanson View Post
    I don't know if any scroll saws are smaller than average. I have an RBI Hawk and love it. That said, it's on a stand that allows me to sit to use it and that stand takes up quite a bit of space.
    That one is a bit too large and heavy for me. thanks anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Since money is no object, I would look at the Excalibur brand scroll saws. What is different about it and one other brand is that the blade assembly tilts and not the table. Thus, you are not fighting gravity on an angled surface as you are cutting. I bought the 21" version Excalibur.

I wouldn't say money is no object, bu darn, that excalibur is expensive. It's also pretty heavy, I will have to think about this one. I wish there was a lighter 14'' excalibur (at around $500)

The DeWalt 20" DW788 is the tried and true and for the money you wont find anything better.

Where are you located? There's no location listed on your profile.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    The DeWalt 20" DW788 is the tried and true and for the money you wont find anything better.

Where are you located? There's no location listed on your profile.

I wish I had the space for saw like that, but it's huge and close to 70 LBs, can't allocate the space in my 1 car garage shop

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    I wish I had the space for saw like that, but it's huge and close to 70 LBs, can't allocate the space in my 1 car garage shop
    Darn, thats too bad. Really is a nice scroll saw. What about if you made a flip cart that could hold it and something else. Like one of these: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Johanna, you have the coolest name ever!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    Darn, thats too bad. Really is a nice scroll saw. What about if you made a flip cart that could hold it and something else. Like one of these: LINK

I can't with the space I have, I am Pretty much maxed out on floor space. just have some shelves left

Like most woodworking machines, weight is good.
    I think any of the scroll saws mentioned are great saws and would serve you well. Maybe make room in a spare room in your home. Really doesn't take that much space. I converted a spare room into my marquetry studio.
    Another thumbs up for the dewalt. I have paid for my Martin T60C using my scroll saw.
    Take a marquetry course from Paul Schurch. Not only will you learn Marquetry but he has several different saws for you to try.
    Good luck

I don't suppose you have enough ceiling height to lift the saw and stand with a Kayak/Canoe hoist and leave it hanging? The hoists only cost about $50 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sincerbeaux View Post
    Like most woodworking machines, weight is good.
    I think any of the scroll saws mentioned are great saws and would serve you well. Maybe make room in a spare room in your home. Really doesn't take that much space. I converted a spare room into my marquetry studio.
    Another thumbs up for the dewalt. I have paid for my Martin T60C using my scroll saw.
    Take a marquetry course from Paul Schurch. Not only will you learn Marquetry but he has several different saws for you to try.
    Good luck
    i live in New York City in a 2000sf house and have 3 little kids, so as you can imagine no extra rooms. I may just go for the 16" Excalibur.

That class as looks amazing, I think one day I'd like to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Christensen View Post
    I don't suppose you have enough ceiling height to lift the saw and stand with a Kayak/Canoe hoist and leave it hanging? The hoists only cost about $50 or less.
    never considered that, the ceilings aren't that high, but there may be room.

I have a Hegner and think it's a very nice saw.

Robert

Hegner has some nice smaller scrollsaws. They are available in the US from Advanced Machinery. If you don't put it on a steel stand it will need to be clamped down to a heavy workbench. Delta used to make a 16" scrollsaw that's pretty inexpensive and reasonable quality. Inspect one closely before buying, though, because repair parts probably aren't available.