Thread: Band saw question

Blog Entries

Band saw question

Grizzly has this saw on clearance sale.
    Would it disappoint, or is it strong enough to cut bowl blanks up to 20" or so?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-B...ce=grizzly.com

The 6 1/2" cutting height would stop me from getting it.

I've been using the G0555 - this one looks virtually identical except for the base. With their 6" riser kit it gets done what I need to do, but then I rarely prep large blanks on it. It's faster to just cut them octagonal with the chainsaw when prepping. When I do use the bandsaw, it's performed reasonably well. It seems a little underpowered for the thickest blanks, but as long as I don't get in too much of a hurry it gets the job done.
    The G0555 has bearing blade guides - if you process a lot of very green wood like I do, clean up thoroughly when done and spray with wd40 to displace moisture or be prepared to replace them often.

4. Bill, that saw has only a 3/4 hp motor and has aluminum cast wheels. I have the g0555LX, and it has a strong 1 hp motor, and cast iron wheels, which give much more torque in the cut, and I also got a riser block kit for it when purchased. With a good blade, like the Highland Woodworking "woodturners blade" it does a great job cutting blanks to 12" thick with a reasonable feed rate. I don't even break out my big Jet 18" saw very much anymore, as the Grizzly G0555LX does 95% of what I need in cutting bowl blanks. The thickness and feed rate are the primary concerns. The G0555LX is usually around $550 or so on sale.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

that is a good price for that size band saw but the 3/4 hp motor if used with the 12 inch riser will be weak if used at max capacity, look at the g0513 and it's variants, yes it is more money but it would also be a lot more saw. But you would need to determine what your needs are. One thing I will say is that what ever you by get one with the blade tensioner release lever. It makes life so much easier.

I have had that Grizzly G0580 since 2009. I have cut a few bowl blanks with it but recently have been using it on smaller items. I have never had any problems with it. It did bog down a couple of times cutting bowl blanks but I started cutting slower and had no further problems. I think it is a very good band saw for the money.
    Tim.
    Seven days without turning makes one weak.