Thread: Started taking project notes

Smile Started taking project notes

Seems like often when I'm working on a new project I will try to remember the details of a previous project. I never remember the details very well, they are kind of like a foggy hazy twilight zone in the back of my mine. I'm getting old and have too much data stored, retrieval is difficult.
    Last week when the kids were purchasing back to school supplies I purchased a spiral notebook intending to record details of my shop projects. When I got home I set down and wrote two pages of notes about a large built-in cabinet I was just finishing. I recorded the materials used, brief description of the construction process, the finishing materials used, with HVLP settings, air pressure, Ford cup times for primer & paint, drying time of finishing materials, model number, prices and vendors of hardware used, etc.
    I placed the notebook in my shop file cabinet hoping that I will be disciplined enough to pull it out and record details on each future project. Hopefully after recording a year or so worth of projects I can pull out the notebook and find the model number and vendor of a certain hinge that I want to use again.
    Last edited by julian abram; 08-14-2017 at 4:48 PM.

I do something along this also. I mark the date, time spent and what I did.
    Don

I do someething similar. I keep my notebook on the bench to "encourage" me to use it.

I have done the same for years.
    Problem now, when reading through the book, I don't even remember building some of the projects
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I use a spiral notebook for small sketches and tool setting and such.

Occasionally, I would need to repeat a project or repair that I had done before. I would approach this with confidence because I had done it before, only to discover that I could not remember how I did it. The frustration of having to figure it out again lead me to keep a lab notebook. I actually used a lab notebook from my student days. But casual handwritten notes were not enough. When I started serious woodworking, I was almost overwhelmed by the amount of information that I needed to learn. I started making detailed notes. It was much easier for me to write these on a computer. That was in 2003. I enjoyed the process and kept at it. My notes (and reflections) have been very helpful to me. They have become a book documenting my road from home handyman (hacker?) to competent woodworker. I've published a few hand-bound copies for family and friends. This accomplishment is as satisfying as the furniture I have made over the years, and just as useful in its way.

An electronic edition is available for anyone who is interested. The link is http://plaza.ufl.edu/chepler/

I start my projects with rough drawings and those would be my only records, if I don't throw away the paperwork after the completion of the builds. The only other documentation I give to a project is my signature and date on the finished piece.

On the occasions when I am to repeat the same project (pretty rare, happened only a few times) and if I forget how I did it last time, I would probably come up with the same or a new solution during the planning stage. I know Paul Sellers keeps a journal with detailed drawings for all his projects. I admire his drawing skills and wish I had that ability. Sketch-up or the like is not something I am interested in learning, which I also find unnecessary in terms of precision as I often change the details of my projects on the fly. My finished projects seldom end in the same dimensions they are first sketched out.

Most of my projects do have photos taken of them.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 08-15-2017 at 9:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post

An electronic edition is available for anyone who is interested. The link is http://plaza.ufl.edu/chepler/
    Thank you for sharing your journey. That is a LOT of work in the documentation!

Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Hepler View Post
    Occasionally, I would need to repeat a project or repair that I had done before. I would approach this with confidence because I had done it before, only to discover that I could not remember how I did it. The frustration of having to figure it out again lead me to keep a lab notebook. I actually used a lab notebook from my student days. But casual handwritten notes were not enough. When I started serious woodworking, I was almost overwhelmed by the amount of information that I needed to learn. I started making detailed notes. It was much easier for me to write these on a computer. That was in 2003. I enjoyed the process and kept at it. My notes (and reflections) have been very helpful to me. They have become a book documenting my road from home handyman (hacker?) to competent woodworker. I've published a few hand-bound copies for family and friends. This accomplishment is as satisfying as the furniture I have made over the years, and just as useful in its way.

That is a really impressive reference book. You could sell it as a print on demand.

Steve