Thread: RAS table height

RAS table height

I have a Radial Arm Saw and want/need to put it on a base/cabinet. Any thoughts on a good working height for the table?

Since you're making it, make it at a comfortable height; a height that allows you full reach to the back of the saw without bending over too far. If you check online you might still be able to find specs for one of their old radial arm saws. I haven't owned one for years, so don't exactly know what the height was, but remember it being higher than my workbench and not exactly right for me. That's why I suggested making a table that allows you a reach and height best for just you. I kind of put it into the category of a workbench. If you're making one make one that is suited to your height and needs.

Hi,

Since it is a radial arm saw, you want the height such that you can apply maximum force against the saw handle in order to control the blade movement, since the RAS operates in the climb cut mode.

In my case a table height of about 36" worked well for me. I. Am 5'11" tall.

I would suggest that you stand in front of a wall and push your fist against it, at different heights, in order to see where you feel like you're able to push hardest against the wall. Then position your saw such that the handle will be at the position that gave you the greatest push against the wall.

I'm not really sure this type of analysis matters too much, but you asked the question!

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Blog Entries
    I am 6' and my radial arm saw is at 42 1/2". I attached a 36" long 1x12 to each underside of the wood table with door hinges.
    The saw sits on a wooden three drawer base. The base is on casters. I have ledgers on each side of the base that support
    the beveled end loose knee braces that hold the 1X12's up in position to be level. That gives me about 12' of saw table that
    supports the boards as I rip or cross cut them. The saw is moved out when I want to us it and stored otherwise. The three drawers
    hold many small tools and also cutters for my shaper. I will take a picture of it and post it if you desire.

I like the height because the saw scares me and everything is convenient. I can hold the wood securely and the saw carriage as well.
    This set up is over 20 years old.

I have two, and have learned that I like the table height much higher than originally intended. They are positioned side-by-side, and the table height is nearly 4 feet high. For my red-star, I propped the height of the cabinet base using a box made of 2x12s. No bending over, and no obstruction with seeing the blade. I also have a healthy respect for the finger-eating possibilities of these saws, and this setup feels most comfortable and safe for me. I don't rip on the RAS -- if I did, 4' would likely be too tall.

I'm 5' 11" and mine is at 43". Which I find is a comfortable work height, lower would also work I think but I wouldn't want it much higher. In addition to the height being comfortable for you to hold the workpiece and push on the saw handle, you should also consider how the height works relative to other work surfaces in your shop. If for example your RAS table is the same height as your table saw, jointer, planer band saw and workbench etc., then one can be used as an outfeed table for the other or you can use two or more of them to support a large workpiece for assembly or while using hand tools. This is an idea I picked up from Allen Little of AskWoodman.com. In my case my table saw stores under my RAS extension wing so I didn't follow Allen's advice but my table saw, workbench and assembly table follow his advice.

My RAS table hits me right above the belt which works perfectly for me. Too low and I end up doing a lot of bending over to line up the blade with the cut.

At 5'10 I have mine at 39" but would prefer it a tad higher, perhaps 41".
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I am 5' 10" and mine is at 42". It is comfortable but I wouldn't want it any higher. Mine initially was about 34", which is what it came as from the factory, and was about as low as would be comfortable. Mine is higher than stock as I put mine on a mobile base and made a much thicker table mounted on Unistrut.

Mine is built into my cabinets, and is at about 36.5". I'm 6'1" and never felt it was too low.

Blog Entries
    In the 1960's a friend had a cabinet shop. He had his radial arm saw mounted with table extensions on both sides.
    I saw how convenient that is and made the wings for my saw.

I copied another friend and put my saw on a cabinet with 3 drawers under the saw. The whole thing is on casters.
    If I need to rip long boards on the saw, I will roll it out onto the drive way, prop the wings up, and saw away.
    I like it because the boards being ripped are up high so I can push them through with push sticks and never
    get my fingers close to the saw blade.

I drove myself to the EM one afternoon after almost cutting the end of my left thumb off on my table saw.
    I was a bit fatigued when I made the cut and thus cit myself. Turn your saws off if you are tired or distracted.

I always wear safety glasses as well when using the radial arm saw. I use the saw often to cut dadoes. The long
    surface with the wings up makes for concise cuts when cutting long dadoes.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-19-2017 at 11:05 AM.