Thread: Band saw blade good for making a turning saw?

Band saw blade good for making a turning saw?

Hello All,
    I am curious to hear the collective wisdom here on the topic of using good, but broken, band saw blades as raw material to build several turning or frame saws. I would like to make several...small fine toothed for joinery work at the bench and a larger one (or two) for cutting tenons to support my interest in timber framing. I have a couple broken band saw blades that are still very sharp and in good condition. I'd like to do something useful with them rather than putting them in the trash.
    Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by William Batdorf View Post
    Hello All,
    I am curious to hear the collective wisdom here on the topic of using good, but broken, band saw blades as raw material to build several turning or frame saws. I would like to make several...small fine toothed for joinery work at the bench and a larger one (or two) for cutting tenons to support my interest in timber framing. I have a couple broken band saw blades that are still very sharp and in good condition. I'd like to do something useful with them rather than putting them in the trash.
    Your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
    Maybe you know this, so assuming you don', it is possible to weld those broken blades back together. Just in case you actually still need bandsaw blades. Otherwise, I'm sure you can do as you wish.

Paul Sellers does use old bandsaw blades for the "frame saws" he builds....might look into that route.

Scarfing the ends of broken blades and silver soldering them is even better. I used to have to do that in the 60's,when I taught shop and had a very low budget. The boys seldom broke a silver soldered blade.

Blog Entries
    I made a turning saw from plans found on this web site. It was a fun project.

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...sawdesign.html
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-16-2017 at 11:11 AM.