Thread: Ever find a project you built in the wild?

Ever find a project you built in the wild?

30+ years ago I made a pie safe out of construction grade lumber. Used a nail punch to punch the door panels.
    Just a short time ago that pie safe was in a little small town country store displaying jams and jelly.

Ever find a project you built in the wild?
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-14-2017 at 10:06 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I had the same thing happen to me.Was at a Christmas party last year and saw a blanket chest at a friend of a friends house.
    It caught my eye because it had Dovetails.I stared at it and decide I made that way before the Internet days I just don't remember when or were.
    It was before I met Bill W.
    Aj

Not exactly "in the wild" but my brother-in-law just built a new house and the box I gave them years ago is now displayed on the mantle right under a genuine Miro painting. That was nice to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Sontag View Post
    Not exactly "in the wild" but my brother-in-law just built a new house and the box I gave them years ago is now displayed on the mantle right under a genuine Miro painting. That was nice to see.
    Nice - if it's under the Miro it is truly an honored piece.

Blog Entries
    I used to adorn standard metal mailboxes to turn them into sharks, mermaids, elephants, boats and the like. These were "crafts-fair" type objects, painted and so forth. I would make these for neighbors to keep them from yelling at me about all the noise from the shop . People would take them with them when they moved and I got a picture the other day from one proudly installed in front of a house in another state. Good for a chuckle and nice to know my gifts (read bribes) live on after their primary use has passed.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

My now step daughter worked a class at the church doing confirmation or something like that... anyway.
    The last day of the classes was a ceremony where they place a ribbon on a cross with something written on it... (promise, wish, I don't know what exactly.) But they never had a cross the right size to use. They would often just dash out to the woods in back and lash together a couple of sticks as their cross. So the step daughter comes to me and asks for a cross. She's expecting two boards nailed together... well we woodworkers know better. Cherry trimmed with maple, on a walnut stand. They were ecstatic.

About five years later, I get a letter with a newspaper clipping in it. An article and photo of the latest class going through their ceremony, and right in the middle is my cross adorned with many ribbons.

Took a few hours to assemble, but has lasted a decade now. really cool feeling.
    “Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity”