Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Felder/Hammer f3 shaper question

Felder/Hammer f3 shaper question

I was told that the Hammer F3 shaper is no longer provided with the forward reverse option.
    Can anyone confirm whether that's true or not?

Thank you.

Just looked at the website - still shown as available on this shaper. Not having a reversing shaper would really limit what bits and cuts you could make

Quote Originally Posted by Acharya Kumarswami View Post
    I was told that the Hammer F3 shaper is no longer provided with the forward reverse option.
    Can anyone confirm whether that's true or not?

Thank you.
    Question of who is doing the telling? At least last year they were reversible. If the Hammer sales team is telling you this then they must have changed the design (which doesn't make any sense as per John's comment)

I asked Felder in Canada and apparently that's correct for the single phase Canadian models which need a Canadian Electrical approval.

Perhaps the US machines are also that way.............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I asked Felder in Canada and apparently that's correct for the single phase Canadian models which need a Canadian Electrical approval.

Perhaps the US machines are also that way.............Rod.
    US Website states the Forward/Reverse run is optional. Don't know if there is a cost involved but at least its available. Still standard on the B3 etc

When I was with Felder, reverse-run was an optional feature but you (the rep) would never really configure the machine that way since it was a key feature. Just like Minimax: It was "standard" in the sense that we (the US team) made it part of the US build code. But, if the sales rep was new, goofed, or whatever, a machine could be ordered without reverse-run, though there usually was enough oversight in place to prevent that from occurring. Odd that CSA rules create a conflict. I don't recall that being an issue with any of the Canadian Minimax configurations but maybe I never looked.

Erik

Thank you for the input. The US sales rep for Felder/Hammer says, regrettably, that F/R is no longer available on the Hammer shaper (that includes the machines that it is part of). A distributor in Canada said the same thing, citing Canadian electrical rules as the reason.

Clearly the website is a little out of date. He also said the tilting spindle is no longer available on the 500 series Felder line.

Quote Originally Posted by Acharya Kumarswami View Post
    Thank you for the input. The US sales rep for Felder/Hammer says, regrettably, that F/R is no longer available on the Hammer shaper (that includes the machines that it is part of). A distributor in Canada said the same thing, citing Canadian electrical rules as the reason.

Clearly the website is a little out of date. He also said the tilting spindle is no longer available on the 500 series Felder line.
    Thanks for the confirmation, Acharya - seems like a backward step, especially getting rid of the tilting spindle as well

Does anyone know if the Hammer MF spindle is bi directional? I'm not clear on how it attaches. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Does anyone know if the Hammer MF spindle is bi directional? I'm not clear on how it attaches. Dave
    yes it is. Fixes via a long bolt through the center of the spindle

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Giddings View Post
    yes it is. Fixes via a long bolt through the center of the spindle
    does the squared area on the tang keep the spindle from backing off when reversed? dave

does the squared area on the tang keep the spindle from backing off when reversed? dave
    Yes, Dave, although it's a hex. On the part of the removable spindle that is inserted into the drive in the machine, there's a hex profile that mates with a hex profile in the drive (see attached photo of the removable router spindle)
    20170817_111113.jpg

Any idea why Hammer didn't use a more traditional design- 30-40 taper similar to what other shapers and mills use. Pretty standard and more stout. Dave

Any idea why Hammer didn't use a more traditional design- 30-40 taper similar to what other shapers and mills use. Pretty standard and more stout. Dave
    Probably so they can be removed without effort, they don't lock in like a taper............Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Probably so they can be removed without effort, they don't lock in like a taper............Rod.
    +1 on Rod's comments. The Felder 500 and Hammer range use the MF system whereas the Felder 700 and up use a different quick change system that looks a lot more substantial (looks like the whole spindle including the driven portion is changed). None of them seem to use a taper so doesn't seem to be a cost/power issue