Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Veritas combination plane is here

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    Hey, I could have beaten you guys who have preordered! Just joking.

I saw the ordering details this morning which are now gone. Also gone is it from the new products page which I found its release in the first place.

After reading the plane guide, the tool looks very promising...and I have to decide if I can still wait until I try it at one of the shows. Any reviews of this plane coming out soon?

Simon
    Yes- actually I have a project waiting for this new plane, so I have been checking my email daily, and checking the website "what's new" daily. I saw the combo plane (sorry Rob, but you know we are going to shorten the name to "combo plane") and checked my mail and no "your package has shipped mail." I went back to the site, and it was gone from the new items list. I searched for it, and it came up, but later it didn't. I figured it was a whoopsie by I.T.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out, and I promise to do a video when it arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    have been checking my email daily, and checking the website "what's new" daily. I saw the combo plane (sorry Rob, but you know we are going to shorten the name to "combo plane") and checked my mail and no "your package has shipped mail."
    You know you could be suffering from an illness that is incurable, and the mercy of relief (no remedy available) rests with Veritas!

I always wear gloves before I open any packages received from them and sanitize everything, just to be sure...

Simon

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon MacGowen View Post
    You know you could be suffering from an illness that is incurable, and the mercy of relief (no remedy available) rests with Veritas!

I always wear gloves before I open any packages received from them and sanitize everything, just to be sure...

Simon

It's too late- I am terminal. I hear it is a slow, happy death.

"Hi, my name is Patrick and I'm a Veritas brand whore. It's been 3 days since my last tool."
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-16-2017 at 2:06 AM.

Yes- actually I have a project waiting for this new plane, so I have been checking my email daily, and checking the website "what's new" daily. I saw the combo plane (sorry Rob, but you know we are going to shorten the name to "combo plane") and checked my mail and no "your package has shipped mail." I went back to the site, and it was gone from the new items list. I searched for it, and it came up, but later it didn't. I figured it was a whoopsie by I.T.

I'm really looking forward to trying it out, and I promise to do a video when it arrives.

Quite curious as to what project requires this new plane? Beading or hollow perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by john zulu View Post
    Quite curious as to what project requires this new plane? Beading or hollow perhaps?
    Relative to the small plow it adds support for reeding cutters, fluting cutters, and larger beading cutters. I expect that it's also a bit more "confident" with wide plow and tongue cutters than the small plow with its optional second skate. It adds nickers on both skates, which are significant when working cross grain. Finally, it appears to have a number of usability refinements, which are always welcome in a combination plane.

I don't think it can support hollows or rounds, unless it can accept the 45's "accessory soles" and corresponding cutters (does anybody know if it can?). To support non-trivial applications of hollows/rounds/etc without a dedicated sole the second skate needs to move in the vertical and the fences need to rotate. Not coincidentally those happen to be the major differences between the 45 and 55. The Veritas combo plane appears not to have either feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Actually, the original Large Plough Plane design had a number of features that didn't make it into the final product: http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworki...ge-plow-plane/
    Wow Bill, an April's Fool post from 2008. Good one.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Yeah! The handle is right behind the blade! All those old planes just dropped in price!
    With brass knobs on!

Hi -

All pre-orders have shipped now, and the plane will be available in all store Sept 2nd. The majority of people should have their planes in hand by end of day Monday (according to tracking information). The first few should be delivered today!

Cheers -

Rob

Blog Entries
    I have been on your site before, but cannot access it at this time.
    Can you send me a private message with login information

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I have been on your site before, but cannot access it at this time.
    Can you send me a private message with login information
    Hi Lowell!

Be glad to look up you login/reset your password....

Can you PM me your email address so I am sure I have the correct account?

Thanks!

Rob
    Last edited by Rob Lee; 08-24-2017 at 10:39 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi -

All pre-orders have shipped now, and the plane will be available in all store Sept 2nd. The majority of people should have their planes in hand by end of day Monday (according to tracking information). The first few should be delivered today!

Cheers -

Rob
    That's awesome- thanks for shipping our orders fist. I see in my order history that mine has shipped!!! I went by the lumber yard today and they have two huge pallets of 2x mahogany. Coincidence? I think not. :-) Soon to come- Malcolm builds a set of louvered mahogany doors with his new plane.

I am jealous - of both the mahogany, and the plane....!

That's awesome- thanks for shipping our orders fist. I see in my order history that mine has shipped!!! I went by the lumber yard today and they have two huge pallets of 2x mahogany. Coincidence? I think not. :-) Soon to come- Malcolm builds a set of louvered mahogany doors with his new plane.

Blog Entries
    Rob,
    I have all of the cutters for the small plow plane. Do they work on the large plow plane?
    I imagine others will want to know. I plan on ordering the large body.

Hi Lowell!

The small plow plane cutters will all work on the large plow plane, with the exception of blades that are uniquely for the LH version. If you have a LH version - I'd be glad to work something out there too....

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Rob,
    I have all of the cutters for the small plow plane. Do they work on the large plow plane?
    I imagine others will want to know. I plan on ordering the large body.