Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Veritas combination plane is here

Blog Entries
    Fortunately, I have the right hand version.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Hi Lowell!

The small plow plane cutters will all work on the large plow plane, with the exception of blades that are uniquely for the LH version. If you have a LH version - I'd be glad to work something out there too....

Cheers -

Rob
    How could you argue with or not buy from a guy who does business like that?!

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 08-24-2017 at 9:40 PM.

Blog Entries
    That's exactly why I've bought so much from Lee Valley.
    He knows how to build a loyal customer base. I thought the cutters would it, but he confirmed it.
    The plane I have is delightful. I just want the big plane.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    That's exactly why I've bought so much from Lee Valley.
    He knows how to build a loyal customer base.
    +1 Lowell. They are my vendor of choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    +1 Lowell. They are my vendor of choice.
    +1 there for me too. How do you not support a company who's president takes the time to help individual customers out like this?

Mine arrived yesterday. It is one fancy plane!!! The box is cool too. Very clever. I only got to play with it a short time last night but I really like the "dimple" on the fence where my off hand holds/pushes on it. Well done.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loran View Post
    Mine arrived yesterday. It is one fancy plane!!! The box is cool too. Very clever. I only got to play with it a short time last night but I really like the "dimple" on the fence where my off hand holds/pushes on it. Well done.
    Mine went snail mail (as opposed to priority.). It is in Jacksonville where it gets loaded on a boat and transit from there is at least a week. Looking forward to it.

Mine came yesterday also. Great piece of work Lee-Valley, thank you.

I have tried a few cutters in mine. As a plow plane without the second skate, it is very solid and the tote is excellent (a first for me re: LV tools). The wider blades that require the second skate may require a video demo for me to get the full setup understood. There are layers of adjustment needed and I'm not quite there with the use of the skates. Specifically, how and when are the two different blade alignment / retention screws utilized? We can have some discussions upcoming.

I have to say it is great to have a new tool to talk about. There has been a long, dry spell prior to this.

Mike, the small knob that is tucked away normally is used to keep the blade aligned when using a narrow blade without the sliding section skate. For larger blades than 3/8", both the main body and the sliding section is used, and the sliding section has a knob that normally keeps the blade automatically aligned with the edges of the skate. On the main body, the blade butts right up against the machined part.

The included manual is pretty good at explaining the different uses and modes.

Surprisingly, yesterday I got mine too... and I'm in Europe, Austria!

Now, since my mouse clicking finger works faster than my head, what it can be used for?

I just have beading blade for now. I'm going to use it for the purpose that combination plane guide says to: "Adding a bead to a tongue-and-groove joint minimizes the visual effect of expansion and contraction." But what else?

I have no idea what the reeding is for, and little about fluting.

And I think it will be useful as rabbeting plane too, because it can be transformed from right-hand plane to left-hand plane to follow the grain. I have only right-hand skew rabbet (filister) plane. Same goes for grooving.

Maybe also for decoration of internal edges of frame and panel doors?

And then also in what sizes?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey Kharitonkin View Post
    Surprisingly, yesterday I got mine too... and I'm in Europe, Austria!

Now, since my mouse clicking finger works faster than my head, what it can be used for?

I just have beading blade for now. I'm going to use it for the purpose that combination plane guide says to: "Adding a bead to a tongue-and-groove joint minimizes the visual effect of expansion and contraction." But what else?

I have no idea what the reeding is for, and little about fluting.

And I think it will be useful as rabbeting plane too, because it can be transformed from right-hand plane to left-hand plane to follow the grain. I have only right-hand skew rabbet (filister) plane. Same goes for grooving.

Maybe also for decoration of internal edges of frame and panel doors?

And then also in what sizes?

Impressive that you already got yours with international shipping! As for reeding versus fluting, see this image: http://www.livinghomefurniture.com/w...od-shaping.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Impressive that you already got yours with international shipping! As for reeding versus fluting, see this image
    It was shipped from Germany, fine-tools.com and dictum.de already have it since last Friday, impressively surprised myself...

Aha, so fluting is repeated several times to match reeding in inverse. Does that mean that repeated beeding gives reeding... or that reeding with two reeds can be repeated to produce multiple reeds?

I think I need to know more about them, where they are used functionally and stylistically...

And what about those ogees, hollows and rounds. And custom profiles?

(I don't like to use electric router.)

It was shipped from Germany, fine-tools.com and dictum.de already have it since last Friday, impressively surprised myself...
    It would appear that LV is filling their third-party distribution channels before their own stores. Probably a smart move on their part.

And what about those ogees, hollows and rounds.

Like the Stanley 45 the LV combination plane has two skates at the same height, so it's basically limited to cutters that protrude the same distance on both edges and that don't protrude any further in the middle than on the edges. That rules out most complex profiles (including ogees), rounds, and many practical applications of hollows
    To support profiles with different extensions on each end you need the second skate to be adjustable in height. In order to support profiles that protrude further in the middle than on the ends you need a third adjustable-height center/auxiliary skate. There is a combination plane with both of those features: The Stanley #55.
    Last edited by Patrick Chase; 08-31-2017 at 1:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post
    It would appear that LV is filling their third-party distribution channels before their own stores. Probably a smart move on their part.
    We don't have the box and the new cutters over here yet though...

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chase View Post

Like the Stanley 45 the LV combination plane has two skates at the same height, so it's basically limited to cutters that protrude the same distance on both edges and that don't protrude any further in the middle than on the edges. That rules out most complex profiles (including ogees), rounds, and many practical applications of hollows
    To support profiles with different extensions on each end you need the second skate to be adjustable in height. In order to support profiles that protrude further in the middle than on the ends you need a third adjustable-height center/auxiliary skate. There is a combination plane with both of those features: The Stanley #55.
    I started to read about #55 on the well-known site about Stanley planes... I was waiting long time for Veritas Combination plane just because I'm not comfortable with buying vintage ones from ebay that costs so much. Stanley #55 is tempting but scary in frustration at the same time.

But after reading a bit, maybe there will be some "attachments" to the Vertias plane? Like there is wide blade conversion for Small Plow plane, hmm... something like additional bottoms or skate with vertical adjustment?

Could it be possible to stick some wooden blocks between the skates to make a hollow?

Maybe it is just entrance to wooden moulding planes rabbit hole for me... Is it difficult to make wooden moulding plane?