Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Track Saw?

Blog Entries

Track Saw?

Do any of you have track saws? I'm looking at a Shop Fox add and their add is enticing.
    I wonder why they don't show prices in their adds?

I have two circular saws that I use against a straight edge, its kind of Rube Goldberg.
    One is a 4" and the other an 8" side winder.

The 4" Porter Cable trim saw is a delight, the 8" side winder is scary to use. It also is Porter Cable.

I gave my 6" side winder to one of my sons with instructions about not cutting his fingers off.

In a previous life, I built houses and had a framing contractor that would cut 2X4's by holding a speed square
    for a straight edge and cut the wood. I will do that, but only if the wood is resting on saw horses. That idiot would
    hold the wood in his hand and cut it.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-15-2017 at 11:34 AM.

MANY of us own, use and love/swear by track saws. Myself included. However Ive never looked at the Shop Fox.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

3. I have a Festool TS55 along with several tracks 55", 55" inch with holes, and 107" for full panels (you can join tracks as well). I also have a Festool Router and there are attachments to use the rails together with the router as well as the saw. The tracks are expensive so I find it beneficial to have tools that use the same tracks.

There are other track systems that are less expensive Makita, Dewalt. The Makita and Festool tracks are somewhat compatible with the other makers tools so keep that in mind.

In general, I love the track saw, I originally had the cordless Festool, but since I no longer need to be cordless, I sold it and bought a 110v TS55.

Obviously, they are much more expensive than a circular saw, but with plunge capability and riving knives, they are much safer and more versitile. If you want to use a circular saw for woodworking, you'd need to create a rail/guide system yourself. Not difficult, but necessary nonetheless.

Blog Entries
    I have an aluminum rip guide.
    I also have an 8 foot long plywood guide that I made by nailing a 1X4 to the face, offset
    6" from one edge. I can rip an 8' sheet of plywood in a heart beat.

You off set the 1X4 from one edge, about 6" and rip the sheet on the other side of the 1x5 with
    your skilsaw (circular handsaw to you youngsters).
    Then c-clamp the guide to the plywood and rip away. It helps to raise the plywood off of the table it's sitting on.

There may be a track saw in my future though. Do the tracks have to be clamped to the wood you are cutting or will
    they stay in place during the cut?
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-15-2017 at 12:14 PM.

There are a healthy proportion of community members that own and use track saws...dozens of threads even!

No question, they are an efficient and handy method of doing many types of work.

For the record, mine is Festool, but at the time, they were the only game at that time. There are many options available today, from "budget" through the other end.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Grizzly version of the saw and it is good value for the money for my home use. That said I've never used any other brands so can't really judge it to know if it's a dog or just not quite as good as the more costly ones. I use it to primarily to break down sheet goods to use in the table saw. I have the short track (28") and a couple 55" tracks but wish there was a long track available. When joining my 2 long tracks together there is a slight twist that raises the corner without the joining bars ( I use 2 and that might contribute) that causes the saw to stop when the front of the base hits it. Since I know it is going to happen I press the corner down a few inches further down the track and it slides by nicely. Someday when I get time I am going to try and machine a couple bars on the milling machine to see it that is better. The 2 F-clamps that hold the tracks down were too tight to slide freely but a couple seconds on the belt sander took care of that. For home use or on a job site where such a saw might be less tempted to go home with someone else, it is worth considering.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Do the tracks have to be clamped to the wood you are cutting or will
    they stay in place during the cut?
    For the most part they do not. Though most have available accessories to do so if you wish/need to. I rarely clamp my guide rails down. The rubber grip on the bottom combined with the downward pressure during the cut hold the rails in place quite well.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I just received and used my Makita track saw for the first time this weekend. I am impressed, and feel like it is a good value at $409 with a 55" track included. Cuts very straight and square, surprisingly light weight and the dust collection works very well. With the stock blade there has been zero tear out in the Sapele I have cut. I have no experience with other brands of track saws.

I have not used this one. I have a True Track guide picked up at a woodworking show. Was $280 and I use my m18 Fuel 6 1/2" saw. Works great, does not slip with the grippe (note: It will in cold weather because it is hard.) Very accurate, but you loose cutting depth. So it is great up to about 1 1/4" stock, very close on a 2x4. Only complaint is dust collection, so looking for a PC saw boss or larger with the dust port opening. Now just today I purchased the Mastercraft Menard's brand version of the Grizzly 4.5" saw kit. Was $89 + tax, with a 11% mail in rebate for store credit, so after rebate $84.50. Would have been less, but I forgot my rebate from last time. This was in the Sunday ad this week. Figure, I could see if I like it or not for the price. So the main thing I am looking for is dust collection; rail connections; splintering and accuracy. Dan

I long resisted the ideal of purchasing a track saw, finally did about two years ago. It has become one of the most useful tools in my shop. Use it almost every week to break down plywood panels, straight line rough lumber, etc. The three most popular brands seem to be Festool, Makita and Dewalt. I purchased the Dewalt with both long & short rails for about $600, its been a great tool investment.

I have had the Makita for several years and it's a great saw. The Shop FOx is basically the same as the Grizzly and is a decent saw. One thing I like abut the Makita is the tracks, it uses the same track as the Festool, so there are lots of goodies available for it.
    Earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl Rumans View Post
    I have had the Makita for several years and it's a great saw. The Shop FOx is basically the same as the Grizzly and is a decent saw. One thing I like abut the Makita is the tracks, it uses the same track as the Festool, so there are lots of goodies available for it.
    Are the Makita and Festool tracks identical? Actually what I want to know is, will the Makita long track work with my TS55?

Bought the Dewalt a couple months ago. It was money well spent Lowell. I think it was $550 out the door. There are many articles and reviews of the DW vs Makita vs Festool. All 3 are well regarded. I havent seen the Shop Fox, but Amazon lists it for $188 + $57 for the track. That's $150 less than the Makita and half the price of my DW. That makes me question whether it's really comparable to them in quality and cut - but that's just me.

Good luck!
    Fred

Blog Entries
    Well, I have Dewalt tools and I know their quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Are the Makita and Festool tracks identical? Actually what I want to know is, will the Makita long track work with my TS55?
    Yes, they are almost identical, you can use the Festool on the Makita tracks and the Makita on the Festool tracks. The Triton tracks are also the same design, just a different color. I have the Makita long tracks and the short Festool track on my MFT/3. The only difference that I can find is the Makita has a channel for the stabilizer slide lock on the Makita saw to lock into and the Festool track does not.
    Earl