Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you laser etch a Glock slide with 60w CO2?

Can you laser etch a Glock slide with 60w CO2?

We have lurking around Sawmill Creek for awhile when we need help with something and finally made an account to get some real help.

We have been approached many times from random costumers about engraving firearms. We normally turn them away because we do not know how to do it and do not want to be responsible for destroying their weapon. We do a lot of work for our States Law Enforcement Division and were asked by one of their officers if we could engrave a name onto the slide of the Glock. He then told us that if we can do it then they will send out a state wide email letting officers know where they can get their guns engraved.

We have seen videos online using Fiber lasers and have read many post on here about the same thing. The problem is we do not have a Fiber laser. We have a Universal 60W, 30W and 25W CO2 lasers.

Long story short, is it possible to laser a Glock slide with what we have?

Any methods and ideas are welcomed. Any information you need from me, just ask. This could be a huge contract for us.
    3x Universal Lasers VLS6.60, M-300, M-25
    Sawgrass SG400 - Sublimation
    Vision Phoenix 1212 - Rotary
    CorelDraw X5
    Vision Pro8
    1 Boss to pay for my toys
    1 Co-Worker to make sure I don't screw up

No, a co2 won't mark it properly. If it's such a huge contract then it would be time to get a fiber and open yourself up to many more opportunities. Oh, and don't forget to get an FFL if you are engraving firearms.

Can anything like CerMark be used on it?

We just bought the 60W laser and do not have the budget for another machine.
    CorelDraw X5
    Vision Pro8

Blog Entries
    Matthew, NO my 80watt CO2 wouldn't cut thru my wife's G17 worth a cr@p. It made a mark, but it really only slightly etched the finish. In fact, that finish on the Glocks IS TOUGH! My 20w fiber doesn't go thru it very fast. Multiple Passes to get a decent mark.
    Pass for now, Get your FFL, and then get a fiber. 30w if you can, 20w will work.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

I etch lots of Glocks... 30w on CO2 is enough for me to make a discernible permanent mark.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Thanks all for your feedback.

Our customer is going to bring us one of his old Glocks to test on. Can not hurt to try.
    CorelDraw X5
    Vision Pro8

Blog Entries
    It marks, it doesn't make a good engraving. It isn't really permanent, but go for it!
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

YES on the Cermark, buy some Pearl White LMM-6150, just be prepared to choke at the price- But it'll last a long time--

-I have some of that light gray Enduramark that came with the sample pack, I need to try it on an old half rusty .22 barrel I have here...

Tips on the white Cermark: don't accidentally add regular Cermark to it. It will become Pearl Tan.
    ---note it probably won't be all that white anyway---
    ---instructions say to spray it, this is because the floaties in it need to disperse evenly, and they don't very will with a brush, so plan on spraying it-

As for an FFL-- even my hard___ ATF agent who served me a cease and desist, says slides, and barrels WITHOUT receivers attached are okay to engrave without a license...
    Last edited by Kev Williams; 08-15-2017 at 6:02 PM.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

That is a big help, thank you for the information. We will try the Blackening Cermark first just to see if we can get it to stick before dropping that much money on the pearl white.
    CorelDraw X5
    Vision Pro8

Depends is my answer. I have used Co2, Fiber, even CerMark on weapons. The "depends" is the customer's expectations. Some are 100% OK with a CO2 and/or CerMark markings. Most however prefer deeper engraving. Even my Gantry style Epilog 30w Fiber wasn't enough to satisfy a few customers. That's why I now have a 50w Galvo style laser, which from my initial testing seems like over-kill. The real key (I believe) was moving from gantry to galvo.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

This is an example of white Cermark on a forged hammer.
    white Cermark.jpg
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

white Cermark on a slide- I was never sure how bad I'd messed up my white when accidentally adding black to it, but based on Mike's pic, not much
    cmarkwht.jpg
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

It is possible. But as someone else mentioned, temper your expectations. Glocks use a tenifer finish and that is tough! The trick is slow speed and high power. I've seen better results with a vector score instead of a traditional raster engraving.

14. I have no idea about the laser but done accept any lower receivers. Check with the ATF, I'm fairly certain you can do slide work but once you take the lower you need a federal license.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Pearce View Post
    I have no idea about the laser but done accept any lower receivers. Check with the ATF, I'm fairly certain you can do slide work but once you take the lower you need a federal license.
    The way the law is actually spelled out, if a person only 'occasionally' deals in, engraves, repairs, 'gunsmiths' or coats/paints firearms, then said person is not by ATF definition a "gunsmith" or "dealer"- and as such, no license is required. The X factor is that "occasionally" is defined differently by different ATF agents. The agent I contacted 3 years ago gave me his blessing to engrave within the law (no serial numbering, that must be done by the MFR) because my gun engraving activities, which I can prove, account for less than 5% of my business income. However, the agent who served me feels that 'occasionally' doesn't exist, and that ANY engraving makes me "a gunsmith".

For now not having much gun business is a blessing because (a) it IS only 5% of my income and (b) the other 95% is always keeping me working 17 hours a day, and gun engraving is 'babysit' low profit work for me. Regardless, many gun shop owners and I have been discussing this issue and when some free time comes my way (ha ha) we're going up the ATF ladder until we find someone who can actually put a hard definition on what constitutes "occasional".

Until then-- yup, only slides and barrels sans receivers
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter