Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fritz and Franz jig

Fritz and Franz jig

I recently purchased my first sliding table saw and said good by to me faithful PM66 cabinet saw. I had serious concerns that my slider might not be practical for fabricating small parts, which ironically is about 80% of my work.
    While waiting for my saw to be delivered from Germany, I had lots of time to think how I would need to change the way I did things on my slider? I found a series on YouTube titled "Getting the most out of your slider" by a fellow creeker and great guy, Steve Rowe AKA "Exreme Woodworker". I think there are 6 different videos on the subject. They couldn't have been more helpful to me and as a bonus, he had the same saw as I ordered. I reached out to Steve since I had a few questions about his saw. The first thing he told me was to make a Fritz and Franz jig. One of the vids in his series is the use and making of the jig. I saw other F&F jigs online but non had the T-track design his had.

So, taking his advice, the first thing I made on my saw was a mock-up of basically his design. The major difference was, I wanted mine to be all-metal. Completely unnecessary, I know. I am a little OCD and I like really nice tooling. It also helps that I have a good friend who owns a machine shop.

But the main reason I wanted to share this is that I think this jig should be standard equipment for all sliders if you ever cut small to medium sizes of wood on a slider. In fact, I can think of no safer way of doing so?
    The jig can also be used as a parallel fence on the sliding table.

My jig consists of 3/4" aluminum
    steel runners
    1/32" UHMW strips on the bottom
    1/4" UHMW strips tongue and grooved into the aluminum for zero clearance
    17" red anodized alum T Track inlayed into the aluminum (commercially available)
    fabricated aluminum handles
    UHMW stops made using the jig
    100 grit sandpaper glued to leading edges

Again this jig could be made using MDF, wooden runners, and plastic handles for about $40 (w tracks)

This jig brings so much utility to a slider. Check out Steve's vids (he has many great WW vids) and like I said, he shows how he built his and where he purchased his parts.

IMG_7619.JPGIMG_7621.JPGIMG_7628.JPGIMG_7628.JPGIMG_7624.JPG

Looks very nice however it will never work.

Everyone knows that "Fritz und Franz" jigs have bright green edging, not red

Regards, Rod.

P.S. You're correct, they are a must have jig for a slider.
    Last edited by Rod Sheridan; 08-15-2017 at 4:46 PM. Reason: Added post script.

Those are beautiful! And that saw is also a work of art - congratulations! I recently bought a slider and immediately built the F&F jigs (baltic birch, with tracks). I can't imagine using the saw without them. I watched many videos about the F&F jig, including Steve Rowe's (I've seen all of his slider videos), and his was the best design and instructions I found.

Here's a great video about cutting sheet stock on a slider, since Steve hasn't gotten to that yet: https://youtu.be/L8JR_fD-dMI

John took the jig up several notches and I had to turn over the Extreme Woodworker man-card. We had a great visit several weeks ago and what seemed like only a few minutes was actually over a 2 hour visit.

Steve

Blog Entries
    Love my fritz and Franz -- its the Ruwi version imported by Martin.

I like the ergo of the canted handle on the Fritz and Franz and that's what we built for ours. The straight handle would look to be uncomfortable.

Nice build.

I like the wood plattens where you just smack them on, cut clear through the front and back, and your dead nuts. Use ours a lot for straightlining rough stock.

John, those are nice jigs! I threw mine together quick with the intention of building better ones. Some friends even bought the official green banding from Germany. Some day when I have time...
    These sure changed the way we work the slider. I still keep a unisaw on wheels but it was only turned on a couple times the past year for cross dados. I have a nice adj cutter on order for the slider and planning to give the unisaw to my son.

Steve, I just watched some of your U Tube. Nicely done! Here is a short cutoff device that came with my T72. Its real simple, 200mm long you just add to the scale reading. Several people have seen this and want one but no one at Martin knows if it is still available. Would be easy to make.

IMG_1930.jpg
    IMG_2541.jpg

Thanks Joe, That is an interesting attachment to the stop. I doubt that it would work on the two point contact fence though.

I'll see you in about 3 weeks - looking forward to absorbing some shaper wisdom.
    Steve

Thanks for calling attention to that video series...I just subscribed/book marked it. I'll soon have a lot more time available for the shop and I'm sure that there will be some things in the videos that will enhance my own slider use beyond what I've dreamed up so far.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Well done, you've taken the F&F jig to the next level - 2 thumbs up. It gives the SawStop a run for it's money in regards to safety, IMHO.
    P.s.: I have the push handle on my F&F jig mounted at a slight angle, long axis pointing at 1:00 o'clock and up, but that's personal preference.

Thanks for the compliments guys.
    Yes, I think safer than a SawStop. Hands are far away from the blade also your body is out of the line of fire.
    I played with the handle placement a lot. The deciding factor was actually the weight and balance of the jigs. They are pretty heavy, so the handles are more fore lifting the jigs on and off the saw table. The orientation still works very well for me.
    Cheers

After watching the mentioned videos the other night...Professor Dr. SWMBO was really concerned when she heard loud saw-sounds coming from our media room since I watched via AirPlay on the big screen in full surround sound LOL ... I decided immediately to make a Friz and Franz jig for my own slider. What a versatile setup! I had to order the track hardware which will arrive in a few days, but I already laminated the base materials when I had one of those elusive "copious free moments" this past weekend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Amazing craftsmanship! Anyone have a direct link to the video series? I tried searching and couldn't seem to find it. Thanks all!

-Rob

Yes, they're very handy Jim.

The only thing I had to order was the "official" bright green T slot molding.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Robb White View Post
    Amazing craftsmanship! Anyone have a direct link to the video series? I tried searching and couldn't seem to find it. Thanks all!

-Rob
    Just look for Extreme Woodworker channel on You Tube, Robb