Thread: Which tools to keep?

Which tools to keep?

I've got a perhaps unusual situation, and thought I would get the collective sage advice of those on here who have been in similar position.

I am finishing my last year of orthopaedic surgery residency. This has been a long road, including a BS, MS and PhD in engineering (10 years), 4 years of med school, and 5 years of residency. Next year, I move my family of 5 out West for a single year likely in an apartment for my fellowship, after which I will be a staff (attending) surgeon. What this means is a lot of moving in the next two years with unpredictable storage and transport options, and (hopefully) an appreciable increase in salary soon. I have always assumed that one of my first priorities after moving will be to have a real shop, rather than sharing a 2-car garage with a Suburban. I have always been into woodworking, and have collected quite a few tools along the way -- but I am not sure which ones are worth carting across the country (twice), when I could afford an upgraded replacement in just a couple years. Current finances will force me to move these all myself. Additionally, I really don't know if there is any value in having two of the same tool (i.e., two table saws, two jointers, planers, bandsaws, etc). If I am going to sell a bunch, I would like to list these early to increase my chances of getting a better deal. These have all been well-maintained and are in perfect working order

Stationary tools I own
    1. Powermatic 14" bandsaw PWS-14cs with riser
    2. Jet ProShop 10" table saw (no riving knife, just splitter)
    3. Jet 6" open-stand jointer
    4. Dewalt DW-735 13" lunchbox planer
    5. Delta 17" (?) floor model drill press
    6. Yates American J-170 lathe
    7. Dewalt 1400? early 60s 10" RAS (likely my most used machine, although underpowered)
    8. Red Star Multiplex-30 10" RAS (restored)
    9. Delta 50-760 dust collector

Semi-stationary tools that I keep on separate stands
    1. Bosch cabinet-style router table
    2. 6"/12" combo belt/disc sander
    3. Hitachi 12" miter saw (non-slider)
    4. 6" grinder

I have a decent collection of the common portables, including jig saws, circular saws, drills, grinders, routers, sawzalls, etc and a decent cache of handtools.

Tools on my immediate wishlist to get as soon as finances permit:
    1. Larger 16"+ jointer (old iron) vs European J/P combo
    2. Euro saw/shaper combo
    3. 24" or larger likely-Euro bandsaw
    4. Older Dewalt monster RAS - just 'cause I like radial arm saws, and use mine all the time.
    5. Better dust collection
    6. Festool track saw and domino

Of the larger stationary tools, I would probably definitely keep the Red Star RAS and the YA lathe. I would also likely keep all portable tools, since they are handy, and transport/storage is not likely an issue. All others are negotiable. I primarily build furniture, I like the Craftsman/A&C style, and consider myself a bit of a hybrid, with an increasing fondness for handtools.

So, what would you keep (and why?) vs sell. Your insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Your hands are your livelihood - you've invested a lot of years to become an orthopaedic surgeon. Whatever you do, buy the insurance of a SawStop table saw.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

You can store the Yates American J-170 lathe at my place if that helps.
    Unless the rest of the stuff works unreasonably perfect for you I wouldnt pay to move it or store it.
    Aj

I was staring down the barrel of a similar situation, until I decided not to do a residency, lol. Congrats on making it through...you're almost there!

If it were me, I'd be selling just about everything, except for the easily portable stuff or machines that you have spent time restoring and/or customizing. Look into local storage options - keep the stuff you want to keep in one place - no point moving it back and forth especially if you won't really be able to use it the next two years. It really comes down to whether you need equipment over the next two years - if the answer is definitively no, then sell it all or store it somewhere you can for free (e.g. a parent's house?). If maybe, then I'd take the planer, the router table, miter saw - stuff that's easily moveable and gives you decent shop capabilities if you end up in a house/condo with a garage and find yourself with some spare time.

Where are you headed?

Blog Entries
    I'm in the market for a good bandsaw. A quick search did not tell your location, but if you're near the Iowa /Illinois Quad Cities...Davenport, Rock island, I would be willing to drive perhaps 100-150 miles if your price fits my budget.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
    Mike - Trust me, I have thought long and hard about the sawstop, especially since I have seen and operated on my fair share of hand-vs-tablesaw incidents. I still might go down that route, but the slider-shaper combos might be more appealing. I have some time to decide.
    Andrew - thanks for the offer, but I like the lathe, and I don't turn nearly enough to justify an expensive upgrade. Ironically, the one tool I have decided to keep happens to be the heaviest and most difficult to move - go figure.
    Victor - that is a good idea about the local storage. Unfortunately no free options, but certainly some that are cheaper than hauling equipment I won't have time to use across the country. What did you do after med school? I'm headed to Colorado for Fellowship, and will likely stay in academics. Interviewing now.
    Bill - it appears we are neighbors. Hit me up in the spring, and I think we can make a deal.

i would sell it all get stable then rebuy will save u a lot in the long run.

My take? I just don't see a lot of the stuff on the list as being worth the money to store for a couple years. Plus having the storage and eventual clean out to deal with hanging over your head. Sounds like with a family of five and the last legs of medical schooling coming up, you have enough on the plate so that maybe let the bulk of the woodworking equipment go and then slowly rebuild the shop when you get planted down somewhere after full-blown release into the totally free doctor world.
    David

I agree with Mike - you have too much invested in your hands Dr. Elkins. Get a sawstop. I'd also think about staying clear of RAS's, though you're obviously one of the "true believers" in them. (Many are.) I'd personally keep the lathe and probably the PM bandsaw (till you can get better). The rest looks easy to replace and I wouldn't personally pay to store it.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 08-15-2017 at 8:25 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Elkins View Post
    Thanks everyone for the quick replies.
    Mike - Trust me, I have thought long and hard about the sawstop, especially since I have seen and operated on my fair share of hand-vs-tablesaw incidents. I still might go down that route, but the slider-shaper combos might be more appealing. I have some time to decide.
    Andrew - thanks for the offer, but I like the lathe, and I don't turn nearly enough to justify an expensive upgrade. Ironically, the one tool I have decided to keep happens to be the heaviest and most difficult to move - go figure.
    Victor - that is a good idea about the local storage. Unfortunately no free options, but certainly some that are cheaper than hauling equipment I won't have time to use across the country. What did you do after med school? I'm headed to Colorado for Fellowship, and will likely stay in academics. Interviewing now.
    Bill - it appears we are neighbors. Hit me up in the spring, and I think we can make a deal.
    I will do that.

You will be time and money ahead if you sell most all of the stationary tools rather than transport them. Most major cities have opened communal "maker spaces" where for a monthly fee you can use all their equipment just to keep your itch scratched temporarily.

When you you finally find a place to settle in a couple years, you can make your own space and not be confined by the machines you toted across the country. You'll be in a position to build exactly what you want...

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Elkins View Post

Of the larger stationary tools, I would probably definitely keep the Red Star RAS and the YA lathe. I would also likely keep all portable tools, since they are handy, and transport/storage is not likely an issue. All others are negotiable. I primarily build furniture, I like the Craftsman/A&C style, and consider myself a bit of a hybrid, with an increasing fondness for handtools.
    Honestly, those two stationary tools stood out because they are, in a sense, unique and worth storing. And the lathe is something you can actually use in a small space to get a "woodworking fix" occasionally while you're working through your fellowship. The other stationary tools you own are pretty much mass market things that you would be replacing with the Euro gear once you get settled in your future practice, so I honestly wouldn't keep them in your stated situation. Hand tools and portable items come in handy outside of just woodworking, so I'd keep those, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I dumped almost all of my shop a few years back bc of somewhat similar circumstances. Now I'm inching closer to getting a Hammer C3-31. Fwiw, I am fairly happy with my decision to sell it all. But I couldn't be more excited to get back to it.