Thread: Makita AT1216AZ Pneumatic 1/2-inch crown Stapler

Question Makita AT1216AZ Pneumatic 1/2-inch crown Stapler

Hi All.

A few weeks ago I purchased a Makita AT1216AZ Pneumatic 1/2-inch crown Stapler.

1. I have limited experience with staplers in general and none with pneumatic models. For ages my single contact with staplers outside the office was from my Black & Decker PowerShot manual model I bought 25 years ago and used a lot in the first couple of years. It is working like new yet! For my surprise it looks they are yet sold as I found apparently exactly that model at amazon, except B&D logo is missing and it is made in China instead of the US like mine (link)
    2. I liked the idea to have 1/2-inch crown stapler. It looks me great to work with fabrics and leather. I found Makita AT1216AZ at around (equivalent) USD 100 locally so I decided to purchase it. From someone coming from a manual stapler, it was like to come to the heavens. Fast and powerful even for hard woods. It is light weight and very ergonomic. When using softwoods you need to work at lower pressure if you do not want your staple went buried into the wood, even using 16 mm staples
    3. It is made in Malaysia and well balanced and robust
    4. It is easy to find 1/2-inch staples locally.

Question to the experts: is that model rebranded from another manufacturer to Makita and sold only in a few countries? I cannot find in the internet references of that model outside Brazil and Russia.

OK, it is not an important question, it is just a curiosity as I do not think it will make difference to me...

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Last edited by Osvaldo Cristo; 08-15-2017 at 7:12 PM.

The Makita sure does look like this one from Surebonder; https://www.amazon.com/Surebonder-Pn...bonder+stapler

The Makita stapler does indeed seem to have limited distribution, my search shows mostly L.A. references. I didn't know that Makita put their name on unbranded tools but I guess I shouldn't be surprised, everyone else is doing it. I agree with pneumatic upholstery staplers as they're sometimes referred to is the U.S. being the way to go. I had - still have an electric model. It works okay with shorter staples and soft woods but longer staples in hard woods? No way.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I agree with pneumatic upholstery staplers as they're sometimes referred to is the U.S. being the way to go.
    I used a manual stapler for several years and hated it every time I used it. The pneumatic I bought is a delightful change. Osvaldo, I can't answer your question about the Makita. But I think you will love having pneumatic stapler.

Fred