Thread: Wheel Horse Lawn Tractor.

Wheel Horse Lawn Tractor.

Having a need for a small tractor around the yard I pulled out a 30+ year old Wheel Horse lawn tractor. I parked it in the shed 10 years ago when I purchased a zero turn mower.
    I dragged out all my tools prepared to clean the carbs, Replace fuel lines etc.... I got into the carb and it was as clean as new. Dumped fresh gas in the tank and it fired off like it just had ran yesterday. Unlike the cheap garbage sold today this thing is built and you can feel it riding it around.

Anyone have an old Wheel Horse tractor?

Wheel Horse.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

The gas when you parked it most likely didn't contain ethanol.

I wish I could go out to my shed and fire up a wheel horse lawn tractor.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Wheel Horse tractors are like little iron horse machines. They knew how to build a long lasting tractor back then. My SIL had one before he passed and loved it. I live in a rural area and still see a lot of folks that have them. A lot of replacement parts still available too.

'Back in the day', WheelHorse was "the" lawn tractor...we had them when I was a kid. And yes, at that point, quality was "up there", unlike so many of the so-called "lawn tractors" sold today by big-box stores, and that includes those that have "well known brand names", but a manufactured for cost-based retail sales.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I don't have a Wheel Horse but I do own a Cub Cadet Model 71 which was built in 1964. When I bought my first home I needed a riding mower and I new that my Dad had stored his Cub Cadet in his barn when he purchased a new Honda. I asked him about the Cadet and he gave it to me so your situation and mine are similar.

I now live in my Dad's home, been here for the last 20 years and the Cadet is back in the barn where I got it. I still use it regularly but not to cut grass anymore, its used to tow lawn trailers and a 25 gallon tank that I use in my garden. Its a real beast though with a big cast iron rear end, front axle and it has a drive shaft and clutch like a car. Its a small tractor, nothing like they manufacture today.

Blog Entries
    I have never owned a Wheel Horse, but this past week I needed to bust up some soil and I pulled out my 35+ year old 7 Hp Troy Built Horse Tiller. I haven't started this tiller in over 2 years. There was still old gas in the tank, though it had been stabilized. I added some fresh gas, set the throttle to start and it started on the second pull. Not bad for an old cast iron Tecumseh engine.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Funny you posted about the Troy Bilt tiller, I was also going to post about TB Tillers being on the same level with Wheel Horse quality. I was just looking at used tillers because I am going to need one next spring and not sure if my old till work.
    Looks like MTD still makes a Troy Bilt Horse tiller close to the original. but for a price $2,000.00
    26224_700x700.jpg
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My Wheel Horse would be consider a newer model to collectors.
    I remember as a kid riding on a old Wheel Horse tractor like the one below. I remember that thing was very fast in high gear.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...t-87/index.htm
    - Rick Dale

You've all heard of Evel Kneivel, but have you ever heard of Evel Knudsen (AKA Sven Svenson). He broke a record at the Minnesota state fair, by successfully jumping over 25 barrels of Lutefisk with a 1962 Montgomery Wards Roto-tiller.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Marsh View Post
    You've all heard of Evel Kneivel, but have you ever heard of Evel Knudsen (AKA Sven Svenson). He broke a record at the Minnesota state fair, by successfully jumping over 25 barrels of Lutefisk with a 1962 Montgomery Wards Roto-tiller.
    I'm glad he made it because had he smashed those barrels...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dave
    I have a 1990 Wheel Horse 520 H , I bought new in the fall of 1990. I still use it every week to mow and in fact just put a new set of blades on it. A great tractor.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Walls View Post
    Dave
    I have a 1990 Wheel Horse 520 H , I bought new in the fall of 1990. I still use it every week to mow and in fact just put a new set of blades on it. A great tractor.
    Chris

Nice looking mower. I have a sales catalog I think is from 1989 or 1990 I found mixed in with my paperwork.
    Do you remember what you paid for it? I had prices marked in the catalog for like 2K or 3K for the smaller 400 series tractor.
    - Rick Dale

Dave
    I purchased at an implement dealer in Hastings Michigan, the fall of 1990, it came with a 48 inch 3 blade deck and a 48 inch push snow blade and a set of tire chains, total was about 4800 $
    Chris