Thread: Cleaning moulding planes

Cleaning moulding planes

I have a box (cardboard) of old moulding planes that have the fine patina of age (dirt, grease, mold,...) Is a quick wash with dish soap ok to clear off the initial grunge? Something else? I'll try to post some pic tonight. Thx

Bill, I've done it both ways, and they came out very nicely. Last week I got two Ohio Tool Co #76 T & G planes which were in pretty good shape. Cleaned one with Simple Green and the other with dish soap and water. The Simple Green got more grunge off, but in the end they looked about the same after finishing them with a beeswax finish. Also put Paraffin wax on the bottom runners. Sharpened the blades and zipped through red oak very well.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Tilson View Post
    Bill, I've done it both ways, and they came out very nicely. Last week I got two Ohio Tool Co #76 T & G planes which were in pretty good shape. Cleaned one with Simple Green and the other with dish soap and water. The Simple Green got more grunge off, but in the end they looked about the same after finishing them with a beeswax finish. Also put Paraffin wax on the bottom runners. Sharpened the blades and zipped through red oak very well.
    Excellent I'll give it a shot tonight and see what happens

I have used a homebrew mix of linseed oil/turp/vinegar, and Kramer's Best Antique Improver with very good results. When applied using OOOO steel wool and light pressure, it left the patina and got rid of the gunk very effectively.

Blog Entries
    Hi Bill,

You likely will not hurt your wooden planes with your method. Water always makes me worry about warping.

My wooden planes are usually cleaned with either a rag saturated with mineral oil or a furniture cleaner/restoring product called Howard's Feed-N-Wax:

Howards Feed-N-Wax.png

the oils help to remove much of the grunge without harming the patina.

You may also find something of interest in an old post of mine:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hab-Enthusiast

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Murphy's Oil Soap may be more gentle than some dishwashing soaps (eg, Dawn).

Here's a solution that seems to work pretty well.

"If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

To further explain; I should have said, do not get the wooden planes very wet when cleaning.

Jim, Howard's feed and wax is exactly was I use and it does a very nice job.

Has anybody tried using the homemade beeswax finish?
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe