Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever think . .

Blog Entries

Do you ever think . .

What will happen to your tools when you pass?
    I am 81, good health, walk every morning, see a cardiologist every year, normal blood pressure, so nothing is working here.

My wife has no idea about what I have. I have a grown children and grand children near by. They all have tools. Do you just
    let them sort it out when the time comes?

What will happen to your tools when you pass?

Unless I kick the bucket without warning (might not be a bad thing considering that some people I know including family died in a painful and suffering way because of cancer), I know when I pass, all my tools will have been disposed of. My plan is to get rid of all my big machines 5 years before I am done with woodworking. I will keep a few hand tools which I will get rid of near the end of my woodworking life.

I do not foresee any serious woodworking tools (not counting pliers, hammers!) will be around by the time I am gone. I don't plan to do any woodworking after 75 for the record. So around 70, I will begin unloading my collection. Frankly, what else will I want built after (by then) some 50 years of woodworking? I think I will feel tired of woodworking even before that day.

Kudos to those can keep going and going despite their age.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 08-16-2017 at 1:31 PM.

Blog Entries
    It often bothers me that my grandchildren might not be as enthusiastic about woodworking as myself.

Hopefully one of them will. My oldest grandson has taken some liking to working with me on projects when he is here.

Other than that, maybe some of them can be educated on how everything goes together or Heaven forbid I should have to catalog all my tools and leave instructions for someone on how to dispose of them.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Jim,
    Have you ever been to see him in Korea?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    Jim,
    Have you ever been to see him in Korea?
    Talk about déjà vu, wasn't this answered in another thread?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Talk about déjà vu, wasn't this answered in another thread?

jtk
    Probably, If you last this long, it will probably happen to you.

I think my children will be glad I did not invest in collectibles.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    I think my children will be glad I did not invest in collectibles.
    +1 on that. The only tools I have that are not users are the ones that are broken or do not work as they should.

jtk

I am nine years older than my wife, and given other factors she will probably outlive me by 20 years or more. She interested in woodworking, but right now we are working on other things like downsizing in house so that we can upsize in shop space. I hope that by the time I pass she will be actively using everything and know what things are worth and can keep or dispose of them to suit her needs. Beyond that I don't give a rip.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    Yes- my wife and I have discussed this thoroughly. First of all- I will be gone, and I really don't care what happens to the tools, except that I know my daughter will want to remember me by something, and I have friends that will want some tools. I am making a book with every tool and what it is worth, as well as what I used it for (what specific projects it took part in.) If my daughter wants to pick a certain tool as a keepsake, she can have an idea of what that tool was used for. I have also let her know please to give my workbench to my daughter, and I don't care what she uses it for, but I want her to have it.

I'm young and healthy, but I do travel a lot. You never know. One bad landing and...

I think about this subject, too. My wife is 18 years older than me, we've been married 26 years. She has three grown children. None of them have an interest in woodworking, unless they want me to create them something. None of the grandkids show interest. My nephews are never going to have enough ambition to pursue the hobby. I'm 50 years old & have some health issues, but intend to keep woodworking til I no longer can. I was forced into retirement from trucking 5 years ago due to my health, & my shop & wood tools are all I have to keep my sanity.

Making a book with every tool in it, it's use & value is a good idea. Something to ponder in case that time comes. Have it in a safe place, with details of what I want done with my tools in that same book.
    Sawdust703

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    My wife and I were watching TV on a rainy Sunday and a commercial came on. I grabbed the remote and muted the sound. I blurted out ' when I die, I want you to sell all my ' stuff ' - immediately'. I got a quizzical look from my better half - ' what are you talking about ? ' she said. ' You are a good looking woman, and, with my blessing, I want you to find some one else' - ' besides, I don't want some jerk using my ' stuff '. To which her reply was ' who said I would marry another jerk'?? This question I have pondered as well - at 57, I hope I have a long ways to go, but you never know. - Dave B

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    Yes- my wife and I have discussed this thoroughly. First of all- I will be gone, and I really don't care what happens to the tools, except that I know my daughter will want to remember me by something, and I have friends that will want some tools. I am making a book with every tool and what it is worth, as well as what I used it for (what specific projects it took part in.) If my daughter wants to pick a certain tool as a keepsake, she can have an idea of what that tool was used for. I have also let her know please to give my workbench to my daughter, and I don't care what she uses it for, but I want her to have it.

I'm young and healthy, but I do travel a lot. You never know. One bad landing and...
    I started the 'book' years ago. I figured it would be good to have a record of everything in the event I got robbed, fire, tragedy, etc. Unfortunately, making that book became such a chore I hated doing it - its really way too organized for the way I do things. I have now finished my 'will' with an attorney. One of the open action items for me is to make a list of everything that I wish to be given to someone. I figure that much will fall under a miscellaneous tools, or miscellaneous woodworking tools category however the lawyer advised that if there are specific items they be described and designated as to who I wish gets them. So that's what I'm working on now. What I'm trying to figure out is what to give my daughters who are not mechanically inclined??

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post
    My wife and I were watching TV on a rainy Sunday and a commercial came on. I grabbed the remote and muted the sound. I blurted out ' when I die, I want you to sell all my ' stuff ' - immediately'. I got a quizzical look from my better half - ' what are you talking about ? ' she said. ' You are a good looking woman, and, with my blessing, I want you to find some one else' - ' besides, I don't want some jerk using my ' stuff '. To which her reply was ' who said I would marry another jerk'?? This question I have pondered as well - at 57, I hope I have a long ways to go, but you never know. - Dave B
    Was that the cremation commercial where the older couple look so happy to have made their decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post
    Another jerk....

I like her already.