Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you ever think . .

My sons will sort them out.

I've spoken about this with my wife on a couple of occasions. Everytime I'm at a garage/estate sale where tools are sold for a pittance or allowed to collect rust it makes me a little sad to think of someones prized possession being treated in such an undignified manner (though it also makes me happy that I'm getting a good deal)...and makes me think of what will happen to my tools when I pass. I'm still young but you never know.

I've made a list of most of my tools on an excel sheet, along with their value (new price, or going market price depending on whether it's a new tool or old), and the price that my wife could sell them for. My hope is that it will help her get fair value for the tools if it comes to that instead of having to look into each item or just sell them for peanuts. But making a list (along with descriptions, manufacturer and price) is a good idea regardless - in case of an insurance claim due to theft or fire etc.

Some folks mentioned about selling their tools at fair market value (after they are gone). We have a few estate service firms here that run estate sales for families whose loved ones passed, leaving behind loads and loads of goods to dispose of, not necessarily woodworking tools. I went to some of them and the fair market prices you have in mind (now) do not exist, because the goal after someone dies, their family have is to get rid of stuff that no one else wants. If you leave behind tools with details about prices etc thinking they will help, you are pretty wrong I am afraid. You may think the chisel is worth $50, they will sell them at $20 tops.

I have seen hand tools in decent conditions sold for 20% or less at their market prices and power tools --better -- at 30% to 50% of the fair prices. The only exceptions are where the estate goods are sold with the help of woodworking friends who spend time selling them on behalf of the deceased. Some of them would even promise they would buy the prices they tag if they don't sell.

This is why my plan is to sell mine when I am still around (after donating some of them to the people or places that deserve them). When I am not in a rush to move (usually the case in estate sales where the house is sold and things have to go relatively fast), I can take my time (over several years). I have no attachments to my tools whatsoever (I take care of them well, very well). When they have done their functions, allowing me to build my projects, I will retire them (along with myself), hoping they will be in some woodworkers' good hands and continue their new journey.

Simon

Blog Entries
    We have a few estate service firms here that run estate sales for families whose loved ones passed,
    We have a few in this area also. One of them also has his own antique shop. He asks high ebay prices for stuff and then ends up putting it into his own shop. I seldom will stop at one of his sales or stop in his shop since I know there isn't going to be any bargains.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

5. I'll be going to sort out my dad's tools in a couple of weeks. It'll be an exploration, as I haven't worked in his shop in decades. some of his stuff will replace the same item in my shop, just for sentimental reasons. some will be sold, some given away. some will doubtless just be stored. he had been on a mission to thin out the excess, but I don't think he got far.

Blog Entries
    Looking at my post that I made this morning and now seeing the number of responses, I think the answer to my question is yes.

I am not surprised.

Blog Entries
    If my son or family take up the cause then they should get them, otherwise prefer they're gifted to someone who will put them to good use. I would like my tools to be discarded after being completely used up by professional work and careful maintenance.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

My son stood in the middle of our workshop (he uses it and the tools therein) and says to me, what am I going to do with all this woodworking crap when you aren't here. I don't mind that actually because at his age I had the same approach to WW and was heavily into cars and I only got involved in WW out of necessity and lack of money. I have recently made a complete spread sheet (500 items) after getting rid of some stuff because a mate had his workshop ripped off and he could not remember all that was in it so months later he had to buy tools out of his own pocket because he had not claimed them. At least we have finished racing and all the superkart stuff is gone so I don't have to worry about that any longer.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

About 90 days ago I responded to a thread elsewhere on this forum, I'm a little older now. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Hi All,
    I'm 72 1/2 today, none of my children are interested in wood working nor are my sons in laws but just about every weekend I visit the local swap meet and look for old tools. I figure that it serves many purposes, I get out and spend two hours shambling around and I buy planes for less than the price of a replacement irons, there also braces and bits, Yankee push drivers in all sizes and quite a few egg beaters all for cheep. Not to mention hand saws and back saws.
    I clean them up but do not refurbish them, clean meaning no rust but sharped and usable and they do get used.

My kids and grand kids know what I do and know that there will always be a market for what I have accumulated, so yes they will be able to keep or sell "The Antiques" because in the future not everyone can afford a 300$ plane or saw.

The other thing is I know that what I find will be going to a good home!

Rick