Thread: Lee Valley Heat Gun

Lee Valley Heat Gun

Lee Valley has a heat gun on sale - along with some shrink wrap tubing. They had offered this gun once in the past and I purchased it. I wanted to pass along my recommendation for it. I bought it for the shrink wrap tubing but mostly I use it when I have dings in wood. I wet the ding, let the water soak in well, and then use the heat gun to heat the spot and bring the ding out. It has worked very well for me.

It has adjustable heat so you can set it so that it drys the water out but doesn't burn the wood.

I know there are many other heat guns out there but I only have experience with this one. If you have experience with another and want to recommend it, please do so.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Looks a lot like the old orange Harbor Freight heat gun. It worked well around the house but when I took it to work ( Electrical Tech ) it did not last long. Others at work also had them burn out after 6 month or so of everyday use.

I have the new Harbor Freight gun now at home and it works for the two times a year I need it.
    https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-w...112-96289.html

This is the gun my employer purchased for all of us to use. My gun is 3 years old and going strong.
    https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-.../dp/B004Q04X44

LOL!!! the PC heat gun is an Amazon number one seller in Power Grinders. ??????????

Heat gun like this is the standard found in electrical shops. Very well made but too heavy to use all day by hand. The reason all of us Techs at my last job purchased the Harbor Freight gun. The company provided gun was WAY TOO Heavy.
    https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 08-16-2017 at 7:24 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

I use my Milwaukee Heat Gun for starting charcoal on my Big Green Egg. Works like a charm.

With no reviews I wouldnt bother. Pick one of the many from Amazon with good reviews: LINK
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Krawford View Post
    I use my Milwaukee Heat Gun for starting charcoal on my Big Green Egg. Works like a charm.
    It will start charcoal?
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    With no reviews I wouldnt bother. Pick one of the many from Amazon with good reviews: LINK
    It's from Lee Valley, so it will likely be good. Either way, I have always found Lee Valley support to be second to none.
    Mike

Absolutely. I nestle the gun opening against the charcoal pile and put it on high. The heat coming out coupled with the fan blowing the hot air lights the coals in about 20 seconds. I usually light 2 or 3 spots. I have retired my propane torch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    It will start charcoal?