Thread: Grizzly parts on Jet Lathe

Grizzly parts on Jet Lathe

Wondering if anyone has had any experience using Grizzly parts on a Jet lathe. Grizzly's 10x18 lathe looks nearly identical to the Jet 1014 and/or 1015. Parts from Grizzly are significantly less expensive and based on the schematics, the tailstock, tool rest and all bolts/handles/etc. look interchangeable.

Thanks for any replies with experience.

-Kris

A bit of backstory… I picked up two Jet 1014 lathes (one 1014, one 1014vs) from a gentleman that was retiring from turning. The 1014 was a full machine with all parts. The 1014vs, on the other hand, was/is missing the entire tailstock and tool rest/banjo assemblies.

I have called several local Jet repair centers, scoured the online part suppliers and posted Wanted to Buy (WTB) threads on a few woodworking sites.

Parting out the needed pieces through local repair centers or online part suppliers would be about $250 for Jet parts.

Grizzly parts would be around $125.

Since I need the entire tailstock assembly, including the quill, I’m hoping that the parts are reasonably interchangeable.

Both lathes have been cleaned, rust removed, lubricated, given a new coat of color matched Jet ivory paint, and are running like tops.

I would love to find the needed parts, at a reasonable price, so that I could get the lathe restored and give to my father as a gift.

Have you talk to a Grizzly coustmer service? I cross matched a part for a friends Shop Fox lathe that was identical

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Nix View Post
    Have you talk to a Grizzly coustmer service? I cross matched a part for a friends Shop Fox lathe that was identical

yes, but Grizzly and Shop Fox have the same owner
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Watch for another used Jet mini? I also have 2, the second one I got for 200 bucks with a bunch of tools...
    As far as the Griz parts, I have no idea, but unless the tailstock is the exact same height, and the width of the bed gap is nearly the same, you will introduce a lot of play and misalignment. Not worth it in my opinion.
    As a final note, I don't know how Monster tools is doing, but their Monster T-nuts for the Jet mini are awesome. They stop the dreaded tailstock and banjo creep.

I am both a metal turner and a woodturner. It seems like a lot of woodturners are adverse to doing things with metal. I accept that but don't completely understand that. Woodturners are highly creative people. But some people won't consider extending their technical skills in to metal.

For a tailstock, if it is too high, you most likely could mill off the bottom or take it to a shop where they would do that. Careful filing could also possible work depending on the skill of the person. If it was too low, you could take a piece of aluminum (like 6061-T6) and add it as a spacer. Or you could glue shims under it. If the slot in the ways is too narrow, you could hand file the bottom of the new tail stock. If it is too wide, then, that situation is a bit more complex.

If you are a person who calls a plumber if your faucet drips, then NO, don't try to do a cross-manufacturer swap. But if you have a spectrum of skills, then I'd suggest trying to do a swap. Just my own opinion...

Order the parts from Grizzly, and if they don't fit send them back. Then you're only out the freight. BTW - the Grizzly 10x18 is on sale for $225, so buy the whole lathe and convert it over to a VS on the Jet.
    Last edited by Mark Greenbaum; 08-19-2017 at 8:24 AM.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Thanks Brice. I'm certainly not afraid of a little sanding/filing/machining to make something fit correctly.

I picked up the two Jet 1014 lathes (one 1014, one 1014vs), 26 turning tools (mostly a mix of HF and Rockler, but there were two Sorby tools), a OneWay Talon chuck, a five piece Beall Collet Chuck set, a 3" face plate, two live centers, a Jet 1014 bed extension (new in box) and a Jet-branded VS conversion kit (new in box) for $200.

I got a great deal and I could scrap the 1014vs that is missing the tailstock and banjo, still knowing that I got a great deal. But, knowing that a tool sits unused when it just needs a few parts to get it turning again is something that I have a difficult time wrapping my head around.

Donate it to club and let them figure out a use; or put an add on TDPRI classifieds (Telecaster Discussion Page Revisited - guitar builder's websites), for a great pickup winding lathe. Someone there will snag it up.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.