Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time to update Rick Potter's 2007 post on bad tool purchases?

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Live and learn. Sometimes you can't afford better, and sometimes you don't know any better. I'm guilty of both many many times
    Me too, unfortunately.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Me too, unfortunately.....
    +2

3hp Griz Shaper - great boat anchor and I sent it back
    Shop Fox Drill Press
    Kreg Router table's Fence

Customer Support from Safety Speed regarding a 15yr old panel saw (both American and Euro branches) I have 40+ shop hrs learning to set up a 2002 ES5 properly. I hate being ignorant on equipment, but I had to learn the good ol' fashioned way. It now cuts to .002 precision and I have the gray hairs to prove it.

Everything else I have I make work.
    -Lud

Every single stud finder I've ever bought.
    Buy this.
    http://franklinsensors.com/product-d...prosensor-710/
    You will like it

My first HVLP sprayer was an inexpensive conversion touch-up gun I bought last winter from that humongous online retail site after seeing a positive review of it here. The Creeker who recommended it is clearly happy with his, but at a selling price of about $35, there have to be some lemons, and mine was. It never saw a real project. I replaced it almost immediately with a full-size conversion sprayer from Homestead.
    Chuck Taylor

Powermatic shapers
    A Powermatic tablesaw
    Powermatic 15s planer

I've made some less than stellar purchases.
    Umm, I suspect you'll get some argument from the local powermatic fans - there seem to be a lot of them here although, personally, I think it's largely because the paint subconsciously influences everyone who's had the pleasure of getting real mustard on a real hot dog at a ball game..

Inadequate for commercial use is the best way to sum it up. Those pieces have been replaced with SAC, SCMi, Format4, Northfield and Tannewitz.

To be fair, I still have a 6" Grizzlymatic jointer, and a mid 90's 66 that is fairly smooth, but neither are workhorses and live pretty easy lives.

Harbor freight scroll saw was pretty bad, I knew it was a gamble going in though. Bosch bench top router table, that one might be my fault not learning to use it right.

Mine was a Wagner airless sprayer never could get it to produce a nice spray drips and splatters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Yep. Best stud finder I've ever owned. It's been dropped off of many o' ladders - stick the 9V battery back in, sacrifice a chicken and it keeps working.
    -Lud

Blog Entries
    I have been very lucky. Early on I used forums like this to get actual owners input and opinions. Still, despite many warnings I bought a 6" benchtop jointer . . . I was going to be the exception that proved the rule, right? Wrong!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I have been very lucky. Early on I used forums like this to get actual owners input and opinions. Still, despite many warnings I bought a 6" benchtop jointer . . . I was going to be the exception that proved the rule, right? Wrong!
    Sounds like me, and there are many of us.

I agree. Replaced it with a mortiser and a handsaw.

Oops, while trying to fix it, i deleted it! I was referring to the FMT. I replaced it with a tennon saw, and a mortiser.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 08-25-2017 at 7:39 AM. Reason: restored deleted [post & merged posts for clarity

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I agree. Replaced it with a mortiser and a handsaw.
    Agree with whom? Replaced what?
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.