Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If It Was Cheaper Would You Go To More Movies?

By a large margin, I find that I have no longer any interest in all the super human fantasies, speeded up action that the eye can't follow, all the cgi effects and the falling heroes that catch themselves mid-fall without ripping arms out of joint or worse. I think all this is the leading edge of the coming idiocracy.

Since I don’t contribute to the income of movies made by knuckleheads*—the list of movies I’m allowed to see these days keeps dwindling.
    +1 and amen to that!
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I went to see "Dunkirk", had to see it by myself, as the wife was not interested, and with the senior discount was 4$. All the audience were seniors, and on Sunday afternoon. The local theater has sold twice in the last few years, and ticket prices have come down. They have hotdogs for 1$.

Guess I'm the exception, haven't been to the theater since last night. Um, I work there.

I volunteer at the Redford Theater, built in 1927 to show silent movies. It still has the original theater organ so the building is owned by a non-profit to preserve the organ and the building that holds it. The downside is it's in a pretty rundown area of northwest Detroit.

http://redfordtheatre.com/

Shameless plugs:

If you come by this weekend we're showing The Wizard of Oz, if you come to the matinee I'll be glad to sell you a ticket, I'm in the box office.

Jackson Brown just had a benefit concert there.

The Evil Dead showing Tuesday is sold out. Bruce Cambell will be there for a talk and autographs.

The upcoming Three Stooges Festival is a major cultural event in my family.

Next scheduled silent is The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Upcoming is an Audry Hepburn weekend, a Noir City Detroit file weekend with 3 double features (6 different movies).

Last night? The Maintenance Team finished putting in the trusses for the new Ladies bathroom ceiling, a major rehab. And repair the faucet in the Mens room that wouldn't stop running. The 90 year old building has lots of old problems and invents new ways to keep the Maintenance Committee Chair from growing too much hair. It's all volunteer work but I get to watch the movie for free!

Even with all the time I spend there I still go to the nearby MJR to see movies.

-Tom

One of the reasons movie prices and the concessions are so high, the movie houses pay a flat fee plus up to 80% of the ticket sales on some movies... they really only make money on the concession.

In my opinions, movie makes have lost all imagination and haven't made a decent movie in years... look at some of the movies that were up for academy awards... they are now making only comic books into movies instead of some of the really good novels that are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry Hagan View Post
    Since I don’t contribute to the income of movies made by knuckleheads*—the list of movies I’m allowed to see these days keeps dwindling.

*knucklehead
    noun ⎢ knuckˇleˇhead ⎢ \ˈnə-kəl-ˌhed\
    : overpaid actor/director/producer that doesn’t have enough sense to keep their offensive political/social opinions to themselves
    You could add more violence and less clothes in lieu of good writing/scripting to your good definition of knucklehead.

We just had this conversation with friends. Since I would assume you need a subscription for each family member you are talking $40 for their family of 4. They figured an average month they'd break even since they try to hit the matinee.

Every time my wife wants to go I look at the online reviews. Its pretty clear that many movies being advertised show literally every good part in the trailers. We've probably gone 6x in the last year and one of those was a charity preview of a major movie that someone we know was a writer on, and he, his wife, and kids all had cameos. That was kind of fun as the producer filmed a special message for the showing and talked about the charity and family we know.

Blog Entries
    If you haven't been to a movie lately I find the hi-def 4k digital projectors superior to the old film projectors. Yea the sound can be loud, but it is of excellent quality. Take ear plugs if it might be an issue to you. I know that works for concerts. We are fortunate that we have a newer, but very up-to-date 16 screen theater near us. All digital and they just pulled all of the old seating and installed loungers. Soon you can go on line if you want and pick your seat, pay for your ticket and just walk in knowing where you will be sitting. Yup, food and drinks are still out of sight. My wife and I headed to the 4:30 show yesterday (our 50th anniversary, big spender that I am) and saw The Hit Man's Bodyguard. Tickets were $7.00 each (senior rate). With Samuel L Jackson, you know up front there will be a lot of profanity. But we liked it. I guess our taste runs on the trashy side. We hit the theater about twice a year. Netfilx and Amazon gets most of our business, but then I have 4K and surround sound at home. Oh, we leave for an eastern Caribbean cruise on Saturday to celebrate.
    https://www.mjrtheatres.com/location...a-16-Showtimes
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 08-24-2017 at 9:29 PM.
    NOW you tell me...