Thread: Blue Grass

Blog Entries

Blue Grass

I am holding a 3/4" blue handle chisel that is a Bluegrass chisel.
    I also have a Bluegrass draw knife.
    My Daddy favored Bluegrass.

How many of you have Bluegrass tools?

Yeah, I bought some of their stuff new. One I remember was a 7 ounce claw hammer for my Son's childhood tool box. Red with stick on gold letters on each side spelling out Latin mottos. I think it is now his kitchen tool box.

Blog Entries
    I also have a hammer.

I've got a small bluegrass backsaw.

Blog Entries
    I also have a 1" Stanley socket chisel that is 8 1/4" long with a 4" long wooden handle on it. I don't remember how I came to own it.
    I wonder if it is a timber framing chisel. I can't think of another use for such a chisel.

I enjoy Pandora's "Contemporary Bluegrass" channel while working in the shop. Does music count as a tool?

One more for the hammers, 16 oz claw hammer.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Actually, I have 11 oz and 16 oz Bluegrass hammers. I will not part with any Bluegrass tool.

Way back when, the older carpenter that tutored me on bridge carpentry used a Bluegrass hammer, but he also allowed that he did think my 20 oz, long wooden handled Plumb hammer was up to the task. I drove lots and lots of 16 penny duplex (double headed) nails with it. Bud wore the blue and white striped carpenter's overalls daily and always had a pencil stuck under the edge if his hat ready for quick draw. Also, he was usually willing to at least discuss a lunch sandwich trade and his wife was a sandwich maker of some repute amongst the crew. Hard work, proud work, lasting work, good times.
    David

10. I have a very nice - although rust rescued- set of bluegrass bench chisel. Also, I think 3 hammers. All quality stuff.