Thread: Gymnastic Style Wood Ring

Gymnastic Style Wood Ring

Hello all,
    I am making a walker for my niece's child that she saw on TV. It is a simple thing, except for I have no idea how to make a wooden ring! Any tips out there? Sorry so simple, I just don't know where to start. I have never tried to make a ring out of wood before. I attached a picture for you to see what it is. I looked online to maybe just buy them but the only place I could find them were actual gymnastics rings which are expensive.
    Willa Walker.jpg
    THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Webber View Post
    Hello all,
    I am making a walker for my niece's child that she saw on TV. It is a simple thing, except for I have no idea how to make a wooden ring! Any tips out there? Sorry so simple, I just don't know where to start. I have never tried to make a ring out of wood before. I attached a picture for you to see what it is. I looked online to maybe just buy them but the only place I could find them were actual gymnastics rings which are expensive.
    Willa Walker.jpg
    THANKS!
    Do you have a lathe? Rings are pretty easy to make.

There are several methods to make one. For example, like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxtMSUgCDuY
    There are a number of other ways as well. Most involve shaping one side, then the other.

For one that might support weight, even of a child, I might laminate two layers or so for strength.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post

For one that might support weight, even of a child, I might laminate two layers or so for strength.

JKJ
    Yes, good idea also rotate the pieces so you have long grain and cross grain or use cabinet grade plywood. If you don't have a lathe you could cut out the segments with a bandsaw, jig saw or scrollsaw and then round over with a router or by hand with a rasp, file or sandpaper. Doesn't have to be perfect, just fun for the kids.

Blog Entries
    It has been over 45 years since I had my hands on one so I could be wrong, but I think Gymnastic rings have a steel ring inside.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bent wood lamination would probably be the strongest. Round over bit in a router table,

Laminate like plywood then route out a circle?

No need for a ring. What about a straight grip. Look at gym equipment. Making a good wooden ring would involve a lot of work!

Chris - you might be thinking of TRX which involves straps and handles. Simple would be to use a short piece of PVC pipe and put the strap through it.

My question to the OP is what kind of "walker" looks like that?

You know, I think the suggestion about not using rings is a great idea. I was just trying to copy what the picture was that was given to me. But why do all that extra work when you can use a straight piece of wood or something. THANKS for the great suggestion plus all the other tips.

Could you post a pic of the "walker" you're basing it on? I've got two kids in lr school so I probabaly already went through that phase, but I'm curious.

Hard to poke little eyes out with rings.

I would laminate a couple of layers of 12 mm Baltic birch, cut the outer diameter, use a router circle-cutting jig to cut the inner diameter, and use a round-over bit to ease all the edges.
    -- Jim

Use the right tool for the job.

Do you own large hole saws? A 6" plug with a 4" hole makes a ring quick and easy.

Yeah, that's it Matt.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Chris - you might be thinking of TRX which involves straps and handles. Simple would be to use a short piece of PVC pipe and put the strap through it.

My question to the OP is what kind of "walker" looks like that?