Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying Jorgensen clamps

buying Jorgensen clamps

Wanted to ask where folks have seen Jorgensen parallel clamps being sold lately. At one point HD and Menards were selling them, but when I was searching around today both sites appear to have stricken them for any mention (save HD which had a listing for 48" parallel but said it was unavailable for both store and online). Have peaked at the clamp section when I've been in the stores and haven't see any lingering stock either, just their usual and store brand selection.

The last pair I picked up were from woodcraft a few years ago. Kicked myself a week later when I saw Menards had them for about $30 less, but now I'm wondering how many places are supposed to/actually do carry these.

I was sold on the Jorgs when testing out those compared to Bessy, and the last time I looked Jorgs were still seen as better, second to Jets.

I'm up in the mid-WI area if that helps for location specific stores.

Any ideas?

Last I heard they went under

oh... that would explain things quite well.

So, moving forward then, are Bessy and Jet now the replacements or has another brand popped up I haven't come across yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post
    This was a huge company
    Jorgensen Steel
    The guy was in Nixon's cabinet.

There are a lot of them out there and they will be around a long time. Even many years ago few shops bought new ones ,main source was from shops folding up. Seen them arrive in full pick up trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Beagle View Post

I don't know if "went under" is accurate. They did close the doors. My guess he wanted to retire, and nobody wanted to take it over or buy it outright.

Adjustable Clamp Company, which produced clamps under both the Jorgensen and Pony names, suspended its operations, based in Chicago, in May 2016. The announcement came from the CEO, who is the great great grandson of the woman who founded the company in 1903. One subsidiary called Easy Wood Tools that makes turning tools continued its operations.

So it looked like the end of the ubiquitous orange clamps and the end of a five generation American family business.

However, it was recently announced that a tool company out of Hangzhou China called Great Star has acquired Adjustable Clamp Company and will be making the clamps again which should be available soon (the release says August, but I would not be surprised if it takes longer). Great Star is a sizable company and owns quite a few other brands that you might recognize including Millers Falls, Everbrite, Arrow Fasteners (as in staple guns and staples).

If you're interested, here is an article from Woodworker's Journal that tells the story: http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/gr...clamp-company/

I for one am glad to hear this. I'm always reaching for the small 6" and 12" Jorgy bar clamps. They're indestructible, and I hope the new Asian manufacturer will retain the quality integrity.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    , and I hope the new Asian manufacturer will retain the quality integrity.
    There's the rub, might be no difference, might be garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    There's the rub, might be no difference, might be garbage.
    You're quite right, it could go either way. Time will tell.

Man, the HD Jorgensen bar clamps are really strong, and the I beam clamps are probably the strongest bar clamps you can get.

Blog Entries
    For those that like I-beams.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I built a good set when Home Depot and Big Lots had them on clearance starting 1-2 years ago. This week I went in search of plastic pads for the 3700 series F-clamps and Pony pipe clamps. There are some out there, but pickings are past being called 'slim.' I had already found the article cited above: the old company is gone.

The two sources I can recommend from my hunt: Cripe Distributing on ebay and True Value affiliated hardware stores. The True Value web site shows no inventory but it is will show you the stores nearest to your zip code. From there, make a few calls to find a location which has some orange-painted clamps still on the shelf. Half the stores called had old stock, random sizes, onesies and twosies. And, occasionally, an Adjustable hand screw.

I found only enough to fill some vacancies in my small suite of clamps. I did not see enough to replicate it. If you are starting from zero...

BobV

There are now available made in China "Jorgensen" hand screw clamps. They are marked "Jorgensen" but are nothing like the original Jorgensen for fit and finish. Threads are rough, wood is nondescript. I bought a couple on Amazon and immediately shipped them back, they were trash.

Original Jorgensens are stamped (impressed) Made in USA. These current production clamps are not stamped, but have a small sticker stating Made in China.

Buyer beware, this current production is not the Jorgensen we used to know.
    Last edited by Tom Blank; 08-18-2017 at 12:13 AM.

I have 3 different brands of parallel clamps and like Jet the best. Don't need any more but, if I did I'd wait for a Jet clamp sale and buy those. Sometimes Woodcraft has a good sale usually in fall (sometimes not).

Blog Entries
    Amazon sells them.

wooden Handscrew clamps are still made by Dubuque and they are made in the USA!:

https://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/...item/MS-WSC.XX