Thread: Old Saws: What are they?

Old Saws: What are they?

Hey guys. First post. Probably won't see many from me.

Cleaning out home from deceased relative. Much old stuff inside. Poconos, PA. Some stuff dates back to 1850 if it helps. Would like some feedback on what I'm looking at.

Will post at least one more picture of a 3rd saw. It's one of those long two person ones.

For now, here's a pair. No markings on the one with the ruler in it. The other one says "H. Wilson Cast Steel." I don't find much on the internet. One photo and some text seems to suggest it's a butcher or bone saw. That would make some sense as these people were hunters, and I've found some really old meat grinders.

Let me know!

Screen Shot 2017-08-17 at 2.37.40 PM.jpg

Blog Entries
    They look like meat saws.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    I agree, I think they are butcher's saws.
    Google "butchers saw"

Blog Entries
    Howdy Mark and welcome to the Creek.

Add another who believes those are butcher's saws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Butcher saws for sure. 27 yrs in the meat packing trade.
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    They look like meat saws.
    Thanks.

Regarding your tagline signature....I hear that Lee.

Me and my family are all about preserving history, and giving back. Indeed, for all my work, other than family heirloom, I get almost nothing from the estate. Per the Will, the Lion's Share is slated for the local historical society. House and everything.

To that end, It's not about the money for me. More interested in finding a proper home. I have no space. Otherwise, the new owners get whatever we leave in the house. If you want to pick these up (I see you are PA) or PayPal for me to drop them off at UPS and pack and ship to you I will. I've already shipped my sister giant chairs, so I know they pack and ship anything. Let me know.

Here's the double end saw I mentioned...

Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.19.58 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.20.16 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-08-21 at 10.20.26 AM.jpg