Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First shop first dust collector...

First shop first dust collector...

I recently had a 24x24 two-car two-story garage build and am going to use the bottom half for woodworking stuff. The left side holds mostly stuff that will stay in the same place like my big rolling tool box, air compressor, bench and staircase. The right half is where I am setting up most of the larger tools which for the most part all are on mobile bases so they can be stored against the wall and pulled out into the middle of the floor if needed. The upstairs I would like to use for other things.

So on that right side where the tools are is a 12 x 24 space where I would be installing the dust collector. This is a hobby only and will never make me a penny so I have no intention on spending thousands of dollars if I can make it work for Less. The current lineup of tools that I will need dust collection on are.
    Cabinet saw
    Router table
    Lunchbox planer
    Ridgid spindle sander

I don't see how I would hook up dust collection to a drill press or bandsaw or if that would even be necessary.

The question is will the single canister grizzly G0548zp Have enough CFM and filter enough fine dust or would I need the dual canister grizzly g0562zp at a minimum? I was also considering adding a super Dust Deputy in front of the single canister grizzly if it had enough CFM to spare and wasn't getting enough filtration.

I should have added that I would be intending to close off the air flow to unused tools and only be using the dust collector hook up to 1 tool at a time

Have you read through Bill Pentz's website yet? It isnt an end all be all by any means, but there is a lot that can be learned there and should be studied before going down the dust collection rabbit hole.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Brandon, the single canister Grizzly's performance is fine for your set up based on your tools and your wishes to keep costs down. Like all DC's the performance is going to be impacted by your ductwork. As Ben states, going to Bill's site and spending time with the Excel static pressure calculator is worth it in terms of coming up with a duct design that is as efficient as you can make it. Putting in a cyclone will help keep your filter cleaning to a minimum. I would also avoid using the Grizzly 3 way 4 inch adaptor as that is going to impact performance.

There are a lot of threads on this site and elsewhere covering the addition of a Super Dust Deputy and turning the single stage DC (like the Grizzly) into a 2 stage. Bear in mind that if you think your woodworking dust producers (tool collection) are going to grow over a few years you may want to upgrade your DC in time. Most of us fall into two camps - spend the money on a really good DC that you can grow into or keep your DC costs down until you can afford something better later.

What are the chances I would be happy with just the Dual canister grizzly? I have brown to the side and been looking at different threads all over the internet but being that I have never had a dust collector or even been in the presence of one a lot of what I'm reading doesn't really make much sense to me so it is hard for me to figure out.
    I have no problems bringing for the Dual canister if that will do the job since the single canister and Dust Deputy would cost about the same amount as the Dual canister to begin with then later on I could always also add the Dust Deputy. I thought about just going straight to the $1,300 grizzly cyclone but I don't have the height for it and to put it outside isn't really possible because of how close my building is to the property line.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    I don't see how I would hook up dust collection to a drill press or bandsaw or if that would even be necessary.
    My experience is connecting a DC to a wood-cutting bandsaw is well worth it. I have mine connected to my 18" bandsaw and it keeps the cabinet completely clear of sawdust plus an extra positionable hose picks up much of the dust on the top of the table from skimming cuts. I don't connect to the drill press.

JKJ

As for ducting with my limited understanding I was just assuming I could run PVC pipe from the DC up to the ceiling then Branch It Off to spread openings throughout the one half with multiple shut-offs along the way so that I could just close off the ducting that goes to all but the pool I would currently be using at any given time and have Flex ducting coming off of the PVC down to the tool

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    What are the chances I would be happy with just the Dual canister grizzly? I have brown to the side and been looking at different threads all over the internet but being that I have never had a dust collector or even been in the presence of one a lot of what I'm reading doesn't really make much sense to me so it is hard for me to figure out.
    I have no problems bringing for the Dual canister if that will do the job since the single canister and Dust Deputy would cost about the same amount as the Dual canister to begin with then later on I could always also add the Dust Deputy. I thought about just going straight to the $1,300 grizzly cyclone but I don't have the height for it and to put it outside isn't really possible because of how close my building is to the property line.
    The main reason for a cyclone is separating out the dust so that your filter isn't clogged by the time you come to empty your bag. The dual will take longer to get clogged than the single and the larger impeller/motor will give you more suction. In the end, though, if you are producing a significant amount of chips/dust, your filters are going to get clogged without some sort of separator. If you're filling up the bags once every few months then this isn't a big deal, of course

I know plans often change but at the current time I don't really see myself making much dust in the form of big chips since my current interests are really only in making guitar bodies and small trinket boxes I'm sure that will change eventually but my biggest worry currently is more along the lines of fine dust that I will be inhaling. At this point honestly I think suction Weis even the single canister Grizzly is overkill but I don't really want to risk assuming so and being close to borderline then over running it as soon as I start working more out there.
    Last edited by Brandon Hanley; 08-18-2017 at 4:56 AM.

If you service a single tool at a time (move the unit and connect/disconnect), replace the filter bag with a very high quality replacement and make sure that the hood on the tool is efficiently setup to collect the dust and chips, you can do a reasonably adequate job with a modest machine.

BTW, dust collectors don't work via "suction"...dust collection is a matter of moving large volumes of air at low pressure ("suction" is high pressure) which in turn, moves the dust and chips. That's why bigger actually "is" better when it comes to dust collection, especially when to do the best job, such as with a table saw, you need both a cabinet feed and an overarm collect-from-the-blade feed running simultaneously. Larger units can move more air and that's what you ultimately need for maximum benefit.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If the single canister g0548zp is sufficient I could probably budget an 8" jointer from grizz. I just don't want to short change DC to do it.

Anyone else have any input? I'm still kind of torn but leaning to the side of the single 2hp 1 micron canister g0548zp. And later upgrading to either a second g0548zp later on if I need more air movement or a super dust deputy if I need more filtration.

With that said though I will openly admit I am a total noob and would be thankful for any input even if it is just to tell me I am way off base.

Anyone? I'm worried whatever I choose is going to be the wrong one

I think you need to spend the time reading Bill Pentz and gain a better understanding. Collecting fine dust is most important for your health and you need a better understanding. One can design ways to pick up dust from a drill press. The bandsaw definitely can be creating a lot of fine dust. If you are making guitar bodies you may be using some more exotic woods and you need to understand the dangers of some woods.

Nobody can give you an answer without knowing what you will be doing. There is no real short cut to designing a good, effective system.

BTW as a response to an earlier comment in this thread. .
    Suction is suction no matter if high or low pressure. The fan curves are flow versus suction. When your suction goes to zero there is no air flow. You design your system to work with the characteristics of your fan curve.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyc...nerscorner.cfm

Brandon,
    I went through similar DC worries and anguishing over what equipment to buy a few years ago. Bill Pentz's website (see above) provided me with more information than I could digest, but it was a wonderful source for data and provided me with metrics that helped me come to a decision on what to purchase. I purchased a Jet DC-11000VX with the canister kit (5 micron filter), but that's based on my space and use needs. Putting together a system is really based on your individual needs/specs rather than asking people for recommendations. Their experience helps, but ultimately, you have to decide what works best for you.