Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First shop first dust collector...

I agree with everyone that responded about the 6 inch pipe as being the way to go with the Grizzly model you are looking at. But I would strongly suggest using wyes over tee's and long sweeps for turns or better yet the two 45's I mentioned before. Try to find schedule 20 Drain and sewer pipe ( DS) also know as DWS and DWV some places the point is you can save a lot weight and money if you can find schedule 20, it can also be referred as closed cell or thin wall pipe. ASTM 2729 I think don't use schedule 40 or 80 for money saving.

What part of the country do you live in?
    some localities it hard to find schedule 20 pipe due to it not meeting code for waste water. I have found a few places in Texas that has a good stock of it. Sometimes rule town hardware And plumbing supply company's may still have it available.

With the air flow rate of that Grizzly machine going from 7 to 6 inch will not kill you. But the tee's will.

Lane

sorry for the lack of responses, i've been running myself ragged between work and life. The dual cannister Grizzly should be here tomorow. i have been on a mission checking local sources for pvc but nobody carries the cheap sched 20 stuff. cheapest is green s&d and i havent found that in 6" yet. I've still got a few places to check yet. if i can atleast get the pipe locally i wont mind buying fittings online as much.

Before "jumping off the bridge," take a look at Phil Thien's baffle. I have a cyclone (Wood Magazine) that I built, but often run my "Top Hat" Thien baffle in front of it when using jointer and planer, on slab in front of shop.

The Dc came and is put together but not yet plumbed into anything.

I did manage to find a place to buy thin wall s&d at 1.12/foot for 6 inch. It's an hour each way from my place but work takes me within 5 minutes of them. I can't get pipe in the company truck but I can get a pile of fittings when I need more.

For those in pa the company is frys plastics In munch pa.

I picked up:
    70ft 6in
    40ft 4in
    20 45s
    15 caps for each size
    3 6x6x6 wyes
    6 6x6x4 wyes.

I have to go back for more wyes. That was all they had.

5. If you go with the 3HP Grizzly, you could, at a later time, build the Bill Pentz cyclone and power it with the Griz. It's not that hard. I built his cyclone and blower with an Oneida impeller and a 3HP TEFC motor. 6" PVC all through the shop, micro switches on each blast gate and a clean basement shop. I also built segmented sweep elbows. IDK what the CFM is, but this thing SUCKS!

I'll chime in. I went the route of a single stage Grizzly 2HP single stage (G1029Z2P) several years ago. I had it plumbed to 4" duct work with ports at my miter, my table saw, and a 3rd that I could use for band saw, planer, jointer, etc (all on wheels). Each port had agate on it so I could keep only one open at a time. After a couple of years, I decided to make some improvements after I read Pentz's website. #1 I upgraded all duct and gates to 6", #2 I upgraded all the ports on every tool to support 6", #3 I built a Thein style separator, turning it to a 2 stage, and #3 replaced the bag filter with a nice pleated canister filter from Wynn Environmental. #2 & #3 meant that I tore apart the grizzly and reconfigured - the motor and filter/bag holder are both mounted to a wall. What a difference the changes made. The advantage to the 2-canister setup is it has twice the surface area to move air through, which in turn should increase your airflow over a single canister, which means better dust collection at the tool.
    Clark Harbaugh

After finishing mine, immediately plugging my new $200 nano filter and having to redo the whole thing, adding a cyclone, let me just say - do it right the first time.... It got more complex and took a lot more time and money than I thought I would have in it. I'm now happy with the result, just wished I had heeded others advice to begin with. Good luck. PS And I did a ton of reading before I started. Randy

8. I'm another slow kid in the dust collection classroom ...
    My head was about to explode and I was frustrated with deciding what to do........plus the cost of the machines are quite high IMO

I finally closed my eyes and threw $$$ at the Laguna PFlux 1.5 hp (today)

I sure hope it wasn't a mistake

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Hanley View Post
    I don't see how I would hook up dust collection to a drill press or bandsaw or if that would even be necessary.
    You can tell by the many responses that dust collection is near and dear to anyone wanting to continue woodworking without an iron lung in their future. That being said I thought I would address your specific line above:

G0513X-DC-mod 002.jpg . G0513X-DC-mod 001.jpg . G0513X-DC-Add 004.jpg . G0513X-DC-Add 005.jpg

DP-Cab (32).jpg .DP-DC (1).jpg. DP-DC xtra-use.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-13-2017 at 5:48 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Eckerle View Post
    I'm another slow kid in the dust collection classroom ...
    My head was about to explode and I was frustrated with deciding what to do........plus the cost of the machines are quite high IMO

I finally closed my eyes and threw $$$ at the Laguna PFlux 1.5 hp (today)

I sure hope it wasn't a mistake
    I hope it isn't either , got mine put together during the holiday weekend. I had considered modifying my HF dc but decided I really liked the Laguna, even having to run a dedicated 30 amp 110 line for it. The instructions say 4-6 hours to assemble, I took my time and it was probably around 8 hours total ( not including the electrical). I hope you have some strong help, the first step is to take the unit out of the box (yeah right) and flip it upside down. Yes, It can be done by 1 person, I did it. I did have help flipping it back over though. It helps if you have watched the youtube assembly videos. So far I am pleased with my purchase.
    I

Sorry my email notifications quit working. I ended up getting the Oneida super Dust Deputy XL cyclone on top of a 55 gallon drum to go with the dough canister grizzly and it is working better than I ever thought it could. Almost nothing is making it to the grizzly and the grizzly is powerful enough that I haven't even installed gate I just leave about for tools hooked up at all times and the 55 gallon drum makes popping noises when I turn it on and off and looks like it is going to suck the lid down into the barrel. I do still intend to make an install gate I just haven't felt the need and have been so busy with everything else that I kind of just put it on the back burner

Blog Entries
    Single canister is fine. Get a cyclone if you can afford it.

I use the 4" plastic pipe from Home Depot and I stopped worrying about sealing. I just run a couple of short sheet metal screws through the joints. I used to do a bunch of anti-static measures but don't anymore.
    Make sure you use the long elbows or two 45 degree connectors. Expecially with the planer. Sometimes wood comes off a bit chunky.

Put the collector closest to the planer. Then the Table Saw should be next closest. The things that produce the finest dust can go a bit further away. In my shop, the thing that's the farthest is over my workbench for my random orbital sander. I leave that blast gate open all the time, figuring that the length of the run and the size of the port don't amount to much loss.

Blast gates all around. I don't like the plastic ones because they get clogged with sawdust and won't close. If you must use plastic gates, drill holes in the corners where the sawdust collects. You will pay the price in some minor leakage but only when the gate is open and they won't clog as badly.

I'm a big fan of the Long Ranger remote switch. I wear a shop vest and I keep the remote clipped to that.