Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It is hot, hot, hot in Galveston County.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    This morning I Galveston County, Friday August 25, 2017, it is overcast, threatening thunder, and not a day to go on a morning walk.
    Weather channel says a hurricane's coming toward Texas. How far from that are you and yours? You folks gonna be OK Lowell? Hope so.
    Fred

Blog Entries
    We may see rising water from the tidal surge, but the storm is supposed to come ashore 100 or so miles south of Galveston.
    The four foot surge that is predicted will not affect our property. Today, we will stay in, dry, and keep the dogs quiet.
    It is raining a bit at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    Weather guessers just made up the "heat index" or "feels like" temperatures.... 105 is 105 ....
    I'd have to agree with you, Chuck, even though I'm the one who brought it up first. It's truly miserable when the temperature and humidity are both over 80, but heat index only applies to humans. Cars, roads, houses and workshops are 20 degrees cooler at 85 compared to 105, no matter what the humidity is. "Wind chill" is another one. It applies to exposed skin. Most people have the sense to cover up when it's cold.

Galveston got truly hammered over 100 years ago and deserves to get off easier this time, although it looks bad farther South. We "survived" Hermine last year when the center of the eye passed about 15 miles from our house. It was the first hurricane to make landfall in Florida in 11 years and except for the fact that some lives lost and not all the damage was minor, we could laugh at it. Harvey is not one to laugh at.

Wind chill is a good thing when its 105 and humid. wind cools the body when hot and humid. If its hot and dry I'll throw on a sweat shirt and soak it then go for a bike ride. I'm actually chilly till I start to dry out.
    Hope all you in the path of Harvey will be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rutherford View Post
    I'd have to agree with you, Chuck, even though I'm the one who brought it up first. It's truly miserable when the temperature and humidity are both over 80, but heat index only applies to humans. Cars, roads, houses and workshops are 20 degrees cooler at 85 compared to 105, no matter what the humidity is. "Wind chill" is another one. It applies to exposed skin. Most people have the sense to cover up when it's cold.

Galveston got truly hammered over 100 years ago and deserves to get off easier this time, although it looks bad farther South. We "survived" Hermine last year when the center of the eye passed about 15 miles from our house. It was the first hurricane to make landfall in Florida in 11 years and except for the fact that some lives lost and not all the damage was minor, we could laugh at it. Harvey is not one to laugh at.
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 08-25-2017 at 12:15 PM.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    wind cools the body when hot and humid.
    When the humidity is too high, sweat will not evaporate and the body will not cool. In that case, wind speed means nothing.

This morning it was 77 degrees and 97% humidity. I was soaked in sweat standing still.