Thread: Planer suggestions

Planer suggestions

I am wanting to upgrade to a cabinet 15 inch planer. I've been looking around for a few weeks now trying to find a good used one on CL., but I'm not against buying new. I'm looking for one with a regular 220 outlet model. Not 100% decided on regular blades or a HH head model. What would you suggest and also, do you know if Powermatic ever runs a sale on them? I think they are very nice but also expensive. I've looked at Powermatic, Grizzly, Jet, and a few others.

I have the 15" Grizzly (G0453) with straight knives. It is a decent enough unit for what it is, it's better than the Delta RC33 clone units as the table rather than the head adjusts, but it's no wedge bed planer. I would look for an old wedge bed planer such as an old US made Powermatic over something like the G0453, but if you can't get one, then a G0453 or its larger version the 20" G0454 will work decently.

I have a carbide insert spiral head in my jointer and my planer uses straight knives. I don't notice much of a difference other than noise. Straight knives are moderately loud and have a very characteristic sound, the spiral head makes little noise. Grizzly has jack screws in the straight knife head and they include a knife setting jig, so it is no trouble at all to get straight knives set in their straight knife planers. I think it took me about 15 minutes the first time I did it.

Powermatic usually runs a 10-15% off in the fall. Two years ago was in November last year I think it was late Sept. your local machinery dealer may know already.

We bought a powermatic 15hh a few years ago and I really like it. I would probably upgrade to the 20 inch if I had to replace it.

Which ever brand new purchase I would definitely recommend a helical head.

I have the G0453Z and am perfectly happy. I definitely would suggest a carbide spiral head. They are so quiet. In the 7 plus years, I have never had a nick in the blades and have not rotated them yet. Be careful with the PM. One model is a steel blade in a helical configuration. The other is a carbide insert head. At least that is how it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    I have the G0453Z and am perfectly happy. I definitely would suggest a carbide spiral head. They are so quiet. In the 7 plus years, I have never had a nick in the blades and have not rotated them yet. Be careful with the PM. One model is a steel blade in a helical configuration. The other is a carbide insert head. At least that is how it used to be.

Good to know, I am thinking of getting this very planer.

I have had a Grizzly 1021 with straight knives and I currently have a powermatic 209 with a helical head. I wanted a bigger machine and found the powermatic at a good deal. Although I love the shelix head, the overall machine is not as well made to me as the Grizzly. The Grizzly had its quirks, but it was a good machine. I find the powermatic has more flex in its build and along with it more snipe. It just doesn't feel as stout as my old G1021....

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Porter View Post
    I have had a Grizzly 1021 with straight knives and I currently have a powermatic 209 with a helical head. I wanted a bigger machine and found the powermatic at a good deal. Although I love the shelix head, the overall machine is not as well made to me as the Grizzly. The Grizzly had its quirks, but it was a good machine. I find the powermatic has more flex in its build and along with it more snipe. It just doesn't feel as stout as my old G1021....

good luck
    Seemingly gone are the McMinnville days...I have a Tennessee built band saw and 8 Inch jointer, the new stuff does not match the old by any means.

All the major brands will do fine. If at all possible get the helical head. ;-)