Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Way to get minimax slider off pallet

Best Way to get minimax slider off pallet

Hi there,

i received my new slider, what is the best way to get the saw off the pallet? I have a pallet jack to move the crate and saw once removed but no forklift to remove the saw. I'm sure some of you have been through this!

currently I'm also pondering how to get it safely off my trailer.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Rent a gantry style crane or hire a truck with a crane on it.

http://www.lkgoodwin.com/more_info/c...d_cranes.shtml

just make a plywood ramp no reason to rent anything nothing fancy i just used 1 2x4 and a half sheet of 3/4ply

Quote Originally Posted by David T gray View Post
    just make a plywood ramp no reason to rent anything nothing fancy i just used 1 2x4 and a half sheet of 3/4ply
    +1 on David's advice. At least for Felder and Hammer gear, this is the simplest way to get it off the pallet. You could also use the same technique to get it off your trailer depending on the height (or rent some aluminum ramps).

If you have a hefty beam in your shop rig one or two comealongs with canvas moving straps around the saw and lift it up, slide the pallet out of the way, then let it down on iron pipe rollers that will let you move it to wherever it needs to go.

You can also just use a Sawzall and gradually nibble away at the pallet (it's nowhere near as beefy as a "regular" pallet you are used to seeing; trust me on that...) until the machine sort of collapses through the floor. The SC4 is actually very stable and won't toip over or anything. I've done that at trade shows where there was no pallet jack nearby. Hope this helps,

Erik

Blog Entries
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 08-18-2017 at 1:30 PM.

I did something that was a combination of both David's and Erik's suggestions when getting my S315WS off the pallet and if I recall, it was while my trailer was tipped into the shop allowing things to, um...flow downhill.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The absolute best way is to hook it back up to your truck and drive to my house. End of problem.

John

I bought the mobility kit when I got my K3 Winner. Installed it then built a ramp and rolled it off onto the floor.

I bought a come-along and some towing chain to drag the pallet off of the trailer. Hooked the come-along to a lally column. Like in your case, a pallet jack wasn't going to work because of the orientation of the saw on the trailer.

Once on the ground, I made a simple ramp and very slowly (and nervously) rolled the saw to the floor. Once it's on the floor, a pallet jack is exactly what you need. The saw has stickers that show where the forks go.

Went easy route. Rented a forklift. Simple after that.

That's the way to go. Done fast with no damage to you or the machine. Enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Strevelowski View Post
    Hey, that works...use a very large power tool to unload a very large power tool. (I would have done that myself, but a forklift wouldn't have been able to get into my shop due to height I suspect)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Strevelowski View Post
    Just for future reference, what did it cost you to rent the forklift? And how did you get it home?

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.