Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walnut Secretary Build Finished – last step drawer/drawer pulls and carving

Blog Entries

Walnut Secretary Build Finished – last step drawer/drawer pulls and carving

This is the last part of a series of build threads for a Walnut “Secretary” I’ve been building as a place to keep my some of my woodworking books handy for quick reference/comparison when thinking about new projects.
    The rest of the build is covered in previous threads. The last couple steps described here were really more details, as compared to significant elements of the construction.

The secretary has an upper “bookshelf” section with 3 doors. I turned Holly pulls for these doors. Both results and process were not very satisfying; I couldn’t keep the knob/pull stock solemnly engaged in the jaws of the chuck on the lathe, and when I did I ended up breaking several blanks. Consequently, for the lower “desk” section that has 3 drawers in the front apron, I went with something a little more hand tool friendly and easier to execute – carved pulls. Here are some pictures of the blank with layout lines for the 3 pulls I needed, plus an extra because God knows I’m bound to screw at least one of them up!

For me, carving the polls was much easier and/more satisfying than turning. Rough shape was sawn into the blank and then face was dished with gouges. The flutes on the perimeter were started with a “V” tool and then blended into a curve with shallow gouges. I was going for something vaguely floral, but not sure I got there.

1 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

2 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

3 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

4 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

5 (2) by Mike Allen, on Flickr

Here’s a picture of the runners/kickers. You may notice the notches in the center of the drawers/front apron – those are for the guide rods on the slide out extra writing surface.

6 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

This shows the underside of the desktop; cleats center the desktop in the apron, allowing for easy disassembly into 2 parts for moving. Felt strips protect the upper surface of the slide out writing service, and 3 “sockets” to capture the guide rods of the slide out writing surface, and hopefully keep everything aligned

8 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    Desktop as a pigeonhole section – small drawers and a central small door. Here’s some pics of carving a rosette for the central door – roughly 3 ½” tall x 2” wide:

9 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

10 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

11 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

12 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

13 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

15 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

Blog Entries
    This picture shows the bottom 3 drawers and the pullout writing surface with breadboard ends.

17 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

The small drawers with curved fronts in the pigeonhole unit:.

18 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

Hidden compartments – 3 slide out trays that fit behind the upper molding and slide out pilaster next to the central door.

19 (2) by Mike Allen, on Flickr

20 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

Here’s some pictures of the completed project.

21 (2) by Mike Allen, on Flickr

22 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

24 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

25 by Mike Allen, on Flickr

Thanks for looking.

Best, Mike

I wish there were something more insightful to say than 'wow'. But wow.

I aspire to your commitment to every detail.

The way you've broken down the steps has given me an appreciation for this piece beyond its aesthetic; I can see the intent and effort of each detail from grain matching, to back panel selection, to carvings on even the pulls.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 08-18-2017 at 2:08 PM.

Love these things! Some day ,from across a room, a guest somewhere will see that and yell "that looks like it could be an
    Allen!". Have a question,you said that's the central door but it looks like the details to the left and right are different.
    Not detail of the door ,the trim
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 08-18-2017 at 6:13 PM.

Blog Entries
    Here's you. X

Here's the bar.
    -------------------------------

You have well exceeded the bar! Well-done. Wow. Truly amazing work.

Like the others have said Mike, Wow just Wow, you have the patience of a saint and the talent to go with it. Unbelievable.
    Chet

Where is the 'like' button? Great work and nice details.

Blog Entries
    A Great piece of work Mr. Allen.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Mike,

Add my "you did good" to the rest....Thanks for sharing,

ken

Mike, kudos to you and your excellent craftsmanship. I really enjoyed watching it all come together.
    Rick

Mike, every step along the way has been a delight and a learning experience. I just sit here and marvel at not just your execution, but your willingness to take on the amount of detail, and your perseverance to do it right. We really need an archive for builds such as these. The end result is stupendous, as has been the journey there.

Thank you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just want to add my "well done!" and thanks for sharing the build. You've taken yourself to a level of talent that is truly inspirational. By the way, for someone who doesn't look forward to the finishing step, you seem to have really figured it out. Great looking piece.

I agree with all said above and can only add that all of your skills seem to be accelerating .

best,

Chris
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Mike simply put You do fine work. Oh you are far to humble about it also.
    Jim