Thread: Class Project: Cutting Board

Class Project: Cutting Board

So, I have had some health issues (too much sun, to little sun screen over the years) and have had to move hobbies inside.

I want to learn woodworking and started a (short lived) class. Week 2 was Build a Cutting Board.

This was perfect because our current cutting board is falling apart.

I poked around and found a design i liked.

I don't have all the pictures I took, but heres a few.

Step 1 was to laminate rows of Cherry, Walnut and Maple. I made 3 different glue up with Cherry/Cherry/Walnut/Walnut, Cherry/Walnut/Cherry/Walnut, and Walnut/Cherry/Cherry/Walnut. Each glue up was about 2' long. Next I cut those into 1 1/2" strips. Randomly alternating the 3 patterns I then glued all that up.

IMG_0963.jpg

The glue up worked well, so I went on and cut the board to size. I needed to thin is some at this point and didn't want to put it through the planer, and didn't have a drum bed sander yet.

So I got the router and made a jig that slides on the 2 square steel bars in the pic, while the router slides back and forth.

IMG_0964.jpg

That worked well enough that I had a flat cutting board that needed almost no sanding. Started sanding at 150 and went to 300, simple.

Finished with food grade oil. The final product turned out ok. I call it "The Wall" as in 'another brick in'

IMG_0966.jpg

Can't wait to do an end grain board or two or three or four....

As always comments and suggestions more than welcome.

Thanks,
    Steve

I like it! Very interesting design. Good job.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Great looking cutting board. I keep saying I'm going to make one but I haven't yet. Great design.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

That looks great! I bookmarked this post so I can make one!
    Fred

"The Wall" is appropriate. This looks very nice

WOW!

Amazing work!

I really like the thin maple strips!